Duel purpose ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iajewel, Jul 19, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have had Muscovy for a long time, and now I would like to add another breed to my yard. I would like a meat duck that is well tempered and easy to keep. I really don't care what color it is, its all about how well they can forage and feed to meat conversion. I know that Muscovy have a very different flavor to the meat then normal ducks. Its been so long since I have tasted anything else, I can't remember what a "normal" table duck is like.

does anyone else breed for meat, and if so, what breed that lays well, will brood, is a good mother and has a nice feed to meat conversion can you suggest.

2. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I added rouens to the mix this year. I am waiting to see how they turn out. I still can't imagine finding a better mother then a muscovy. they can hatch out 40 ducklings a year and raise every one of them.

3. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I'm pretty happy with my saxonies. They grow a little slower then pekins, but lay better, are better foragers, and will hatch their own eggs. I'm going to try to cross some with muscovies next year (they usually use pekins, but thought I'd try saxonies)

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have Pekins, they lay a huge egg every day and grow pretty fast. I really like them

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Welsh harlequins are a great dulpurpose breed that are capable of laying 330 eggs a year and are a good meat bird due to their light/white down feathers and medium weight body size.

6. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I googled both the Harlequin and Saxony, I like the look of the Saxony, how do they lay? I like the idea if how much the Harliquine lay. That means I could hatch out allot of eggs a year. I honestly am a hatch a haulic. so more eggs the happier Iam. I live in a very cold winter climate with summers being.. well tomorrow will be 120 heat index with high humidity. Can you tell me how each of these breeds would do in this weather?

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The Saxony can do 200+ eggs a year. I chose them over the Welsh for the looks and size, I have chickens for eggs so I don't need a daily duck egg. When the ducks start laying I may reduce the chicken numbers and keep my youngest hens.

I also wanted something that would sell for a little more than $2 as a duckling, and the Saxony are more on the rare side depending on your area. They're about non existent here, I searched forever starting back in February before ordering from a hatchery in June.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    In my opinion, the best dual purpose duck is the Silver Appleyard. They grow fast. They are calm natured. They give a large dressed duck. They lay more eggs than any other breed except for the lighter weight egg laying breeds. You can get up to 270 eggs a year from a well bred Silver Appleyard.

If what you want is meat, you simply can not beat the Pekin for fast growth and excellent feed conversion rate.

If your preference is eggs, then you want Khaki Campbells, Welsh Harlequin, or Runner.

9. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Cayuga duck used to be the table bird of choice before Pekin took over. Nice flavor, good seasonal layers, very calm, good foragers but stay close to home.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would recommend not getting rouens, they take 18 months to 'fully' fill out. Pekins are a good choice for meat duck, after all, it's what the chinese use [​IMG]

ETA: If you wanted pekins for meat you'd want to go with the 'jumbo' pekins. They aren't really jumbo, just the size they should be.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by