Dumb Catch Phrases

Quote:
"You guys" is the northern equivalent of "Y'all." It's used in exactly the same way.

yes but it is a masculine form. if someone wants to say its gender neutral then I say men shouldn't be offended if I say " you gals" to them.

Quote:
Oh my gosh ...my soon to be 18 year old, in 1 week, always says "like"...
"so, like, mom, um, can I like borrow $10", or "like today in class the teacher...." etc etc
I wanna smack him silly.
rant.gif

Quote:
"You guys" is the northern equivalent of "Y'all." It's used in exactly the same way.

Yup.

'It is what it is'
sickbyc.gif

"You all" or "all of you" is the equivalent of "Y'all"

The phrases "bleeding like a stuck pig" or "squealing like a stuck hog". Now having seen such a sight first hand recently, I find myself very reluctant to use it. Nothing has ever come close to those two phrases in my reality, and seems ghastly to use.

i cannot stand it when some long winded know it all bozo say's---that logical ,right !--
he.gif
--logic to me is the systemetic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence .
th.gif

When people say "Oh My God"

Originating from Psalms.. Oh 'My' God, was used to claim the Lord as their personal God, for purposes of praise, supplication, and thanksgiving.

So, do people really want to be saying "God is mine, will you look at her butt"?

Not to mention that a good many people who say it have no belief in God.. well that's fine.. but why are they claiming God as theirs? It doesen't make any sense to me.

Especially, I am bothered with the ebonics... I don't see a set cultural history, just a constant insurgence of ever-changing popular words of the moment... meant to satisfy verbal laziness. If you don't like English as it is... there are many other languages to choose from, that might actually come in handy...

Quote:
English, especially american English, is a bastardization of several languages. it is ever changing because it is made up of several languages, with a lot of influences from multiple cultures. Eubonics has a long history and is a deeply entrenched cultural system for some groups, and a way of goofing off for others. and oh my god could be referring to their god, not just the Christian god.

Back
Top Bottom