Dumb chickens?

Gma House

Hatching
Nov 3, 2018
I must have dumb chickens. We purchased a bucket waterer with nipples on the bottom and hung it from a shade tree. Not one of our girls are drinking from it. It's about 12" off the ground. Are my chickens dumb or am I?

I must have dumb chickens. We purchased a bucket waterer with nipples on the bottom and hung it from a shade tree. Not one of our girls are drinking from it. It's about 12" off the ground. Are my chickens dumb or am I?
Did you show them how to use it? It's the same deal when they are baby chicks and you are supposed to dip their beaks in water to teach them. Hold their heads and "peck" for them and they should catch on.

They aren't dumb. They don't know what it is. They won't catch on if they've never seen a nipple waterer before. Also, 12" might be a bit high. While they get the hang of it, give them their old water back so they don't get dehydrated.

I don't know about you, but we've had our auto waterer for weeks, I took them and showed them how to work it, they still don't peck for water, only use it if I peck the water for them. Currently I have their old trough round waterer set up as well cause my chickens are dumb when it comes to this. If you figure a way to get them to use it, please let me know

I tried just giving them the auto waterer and showing them how to use it and they still wouldn't use it. I ended up putting the other water back in so they didn't' get sick. With the heat now I don't dare try again without another source of water.

Possible ways to teach them to use it:
- tap the toggle with your finger when the chickens are looking at it
- pick up a few chickens and use their beaks to tap the toggle, then let them drink a few drops
- put something tasty and sticky on the toggle (like berry jam) so they'll want to peck at it

Back
Top Bottom