Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.... Bumblefoot

1 Day into treatment, I soaked her again for 5 minutes in the tricide-neo and then rewrapped both feet. Swelling is a little down, the cyst sticks out a little less and her feet are much cooler (hard to tell if it's a normal temp yet). Both scabs just look soft, but maybe just a little less black.
Seem to be making some progress.
thumbsup.gif

Does anyone know what the danger is regarding getting tricide-neo on US? We've been careful, I'm just curious.

Bumblefoot does not heal fast. Taking pics of the feet once a week will give you an idea on the rate of healing. Give them time, they will heal. Keep them clean and dry and they should heal up fine.

You should wear gloves while using the Tri-cide, however I don't think it will hurt you. I once had it splash in my eyes as a bird was thrashing around, LOL, and nothing happened. Just be careful with it just in case.

For those with experience, I have a question (yet again). Today is day 6 of treatment with the tricide-neo. The cyst on the top of her foot looks MUCH better. It is probably 1/3rd the size it was and has turned brownish and seems to be drying up. The temperature of her feet seems normal. The swelling has lessened, but it is still quite swollen on her right foot (the left never swelled up much). The black scabs have not changed much at all... this is my biggest concern.
I did tricide on days 1,2,3,4 and 6 (skipped 5). I have to dump the rest of the medicine after tomorrow's treatment.

So... do I just treat her now with epsom salt soaks and re-wrap her feet everyday? Or should I make another batch of the tricide-neo and continue with that? I have also been using neosporin on the gauze daily.

I'm just concerned because there's not much change with the scabs. :(

I looked at a youtube video of bumblefoot surgery. There's no way... I would throw up.

I don't know anything about tricide-neo. When my hen had bumble foot we did the soaking and surgery..... 4 times. The first time we took out 5 corns. The swelling went down enough we could see there was swelling on the top of her foot and cut it open to take 3 corns out. Again the swelling went down some but not completely and the scabs always came back. We ended up cutting her foot open two more times and taking out 3 more corns. It took 3 months for it to heal up completely. Each time I would soak it in epsom salt, then DH would cut it open. After the corns were out it was rinsed with peroxide and packed with antibiotic ointment. I wrapped her foot in vet wrap and press and seal to keep it dry and she would go back out to the coop. It was a long drawn out thing to deal with. I did not try oral antibiotics, but having seen what came out of the foot I think if it is really swollen the surgery would be a must. Just keep a close eye on it and I hope your girl gets better quick.

And I didn't watch.
sickbyc.gif
I was the chicken handler!

Last edited:
For those with experience, I have a question (yet again). Today is day 6 of treatment with the tricide-neo. The cyst on the top of her foot looks MUCH better. It is probably 1/3rd the size it was and has turned brownish and seems to be drying up. The temperature of her feet seems normal. The swelling has lessened, but it is still quite swollen on her right foot (the left never swelled up much). The black scabs have not changed much at all... this is my biggest concern.
I did tricide on days 1,2,3,4 and 6 (skipped 5). I have to dump the rest of the medicine after tomorrow's treatment.

So... do I just treat her now with epsom salt soaks and re-wrap her feet everyday? Or should I make another batch of the tricide-neo and continue with that? I have also been using neosporin on the gauze daily.

I'm just concerned because there's not much change with the scabs. :(

I looked at a youtube video of bumblefoot surgery. There's no way... I would throw up.
I used TricideNeo soaks alone (no surgery, no peeling off scabs, no digging out anything, and no wrapping), and it took about a week for the scabs to fall off. By then, it was totally healed underneath, but I continued soaking for a few more days (total of 10 days) just to be sure. Your pics look worse than mine was, so I expect it would take longer. I'd continue the soaks at least until the foot looks totally normal. It sounds like there has been great progress, so I would definitely continue.

If any of the swellings have hardened masses in them, then surgery probably will be necessary. But judging from all the failures and repeat surgeries we read about here, I would take her to a vet if it comes to that. Vets are trained in surgery and sterile technique, and would have a better chance of getting it right the first time. To me that's important, because it can't be fun for the bird to have her foot carved up with no anesthetic.

I used TricideNeo soaks alone (no surgery, no peeling off scabs, no digging out anything, and no wrapping), and it took about a week for the scabs to fall off. By then, it was totally healed underneath, but I continued soaking for a few more days (total of 10 days) just to be sure. Your pics look worse than mine was, so I expect it would take longer. I'd continue the soaks at least until the foot looks totally normal. It sounds like there has been great progress, so I would definitely continue.

If any of the swellings have hardened masses in them, then surgery probably will be necessary. But judging from all the failures and repeat surgeries we read about here, I would take her to a vet if it comes to that. Vets are trained in surgery and sterile technique, and would have a better chance of getting it right the first time. To me that's important, because it can't be fun for the bird to have her foot carved up with no anesthetic.

So it's safe to continue the tricide-neo? I was worried because it's an antibiotic, isn't it? I didn't know if that would be overdosing her.

So it's safe to continue the tricide-neo? I was worried because it's an antibiotic, isn't it? I didn't know if that would be overdosing her.
Yes, there is an antibiotic in it, and it is safe to continue. There are people who have done the soaks for a month or more.

Back
Top Bottom