Dumb & Dumber & Dumberer?!?!

The 6 ducks were (I sold them) in an 8.5' x 16' hoop coop and given access to a run probably 10x that. These ducks at least, were dumb as hell and MESSY. Half dozen ducks created much more mess than 30 chickens. Not being able to scratch and dig and compost was part of that for sure, but man - the mess these guys made.

A million percent done keeping ducks. Experience experienced. Lesson learned. ;)

My ducks were terrified of me for a long time, probably about 8 months. Then I got too sick to go to the store to buy feed. They had to live on a large plate of table scraps and a handful of mealworms each day. After a few days they came running whenever they saw me. Now they always come over to see me and don't mind my children either. They are completely different, and it was entirely because I didn't take very good care of them for a week.

Mine don't care for people. I've only had one tame one and that's because it was an only childvthat I carted around its first few weeks. All the others have acted like nuts. I don't mind. I take care of them, they give me eggs. We're good. But I don't free range. The pigs let my four adults out once and it was easy enough to get them back in with a bucket of food, like all the rest. They just kept their distance while they followed me.

The 6 ducks were (I sold them) in an 8.5' x 16' hoop coop and given access to a run probably 10x that. These ducks at least, were dumb as hell and MESSY. Half dozen ducks created much more mess than 30 chickens. Not being able to scratch and dig and compost was part of that for sure, but man - the mess these guys made.

A million percent done keeping ducks. Experience experienced. Lesson learned. ;)
Ducks are the messiest creatures ever. But I keep going back to them. This is my 3rd time owning them after selling them 2 previous times and saying I'm done. Lol. I'm a glutton for punishment.

I think the best way t have ducks is to get eggs from your own or from a friend. Talk to them before, during, and after hatching. When brooding, give them treats out of your hand. It is something they never out grow. I went in the pen to go get eggs out of the coop this evening. Before I could get to the coop three ducks were tugging at my pants demanding treats.

My ducklings are pretty friendly. I spent time talking to them, feeding them treats, etc, and they aren't that scared from me and walk around comfortably without running away. Last year, I didn't socialize with those ducks and they were extremely skittish. It depends on how much time you spend with them when they are little. Even if they are messy, I will always love them. You can't say no to their adorable faces and personalities :)

Back
Top Bottom