Dumb health question?

It isn't the egg yolks (or eggs in general) that are unhealthy. The fat in the yolk doesn't make you fat or cause heart disease. CARBOHYDRATES do.

In November 2007, Mother Earth News published the results from their second egg-testing project, showing that compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture contained:

* 1/3 less cholesterol
* 1/4 less saturated fat
* 2/3 more vitamin A
* 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
* 3 times more vitamin E
* 7 times more beta carotene

Thaks for the input . Im not that old but in 2008 I had a minor stroke. lost my speech for eight days. Now I just stutter. Dec 2009 My heart acted up again So they looked deeper and found that I have an enlarged heart. The musle are in bad shape. I always new i was a big hearted person. LOL They put me on thinners and a lot of other meds. The diet is what hurts me the worst. I love to eat. I always wanted to get chicks so when I had the stroke i got them . Finally got eggs and doc wants me to stop eating LOL just my Luck. Im getting more chicks this spring if not sooner. Scotty

And more recently, Mother Earth News printed that eggs from pastured hens also have 4 - 6 times the amount of Vit.D as those of commercially produced eggs.
wink.png
So, Fresh eggs from your happy healthy home raised free range flock are indeed healthier than those purchased at the store.
smile.png
Yay, isn't that Happy News?!!!

All good comments and accurate too. There are two basic types of cholestrol, being low density (bad...LDL) and high density (good...HDL). (Cellulite is an example of visible low-density cholestrol) It is the ratio of good to bad that is important. The actual number has been made lower by none other than the drug cos themselves in order to sell more statins. Good info on Mercola.com about this subject and also from Dr Wm Campbell Douglass. ( Drug cos also have in recent years made acceptable blood pr readings lower in order to sell more of their BP meds. One of their more recent lies is that pre-hypertension is 120/80 which might well be most everyone over 30 years old. Same goal, to increase customer base by any means necessary )

It has been found that in some countries of eastern Europe that people there with high cholestrol readings near to 300 are healthy as young horses and with nearly unknown heart disease problems, because their balance is correct and because they do not eat corn-fattened red meats as well. (not to mention fast-foods and processed foods with toxic additives) Grass-fed beef and mutton is extremely healthy.

Egg yolk is the finest high-density lippor that can be found in nature and is also loaded with Lutein, Zeaxanthan and carotenoids as well as other vital nutrients. People who have been kidnapped in central and south America that were fed boiled eggs, raw veggies, and water have come back to their loved ones in good health ( perhaps outside of needing dental work or some such thing) The kidnappers feed their hostages eggs, locally grown raw veggies and water, period. High density lippor is vital to brain function and cognitive powers because the brain itself is 80% fat. (That could be where the term 'fat head' came from!)
lol.png

It was my understanding that we can also raise the good cholesterol in our eggs by feeding our chickens special foods. That there is even a way to get your eggs "certified" Omega 3 eggs if you have them analyzed. We have not done that but we are feeding our chickens added flax seed and added black sunflower seeds because I read these things increase the Omega 3 oils in our eggs. I'm not sure how much that helps but our eggs taste great so we aren't doing anything that harms the flavor, that is for sure.
We are not adding a scientific amount, just throwing a little flax seed in each time we fill our feeder, and putting out black sunflower seeds every other day instead of scratch.

Our Doctor says that the home grown eggs are better for you than store bought. She also says that there are differing opinions about eggs being good or bad for you.
Keep in mind that DW has had a stroke and Doc didn't say no to eggs. And when I make doctor appointment the doctor and nurse request I bring em X# dozen eggs that day.

Back
Top Bottom