Dumb Question about wormer tablets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcdaid36, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I have a hen with a worm problem, and since there are no stores near me who carry chicken wormer, I have to order it from online. I did at one point in the past, so I do have a bottle of "Worm Off" which are tablets of Piperazine. But I'm wondering how to actually get the tablet into the chicken? Should I dilute it in a tiny amount of water in a syringe and squirt it into it's mouth? Should I try to "hide" bits of it in something that's tastier? There must be a logical answer to this, but I've searched the web and can't find the preferred method. Hopefully someone here has some more brains than me! Thanks!

2. WiscoChiko

WiscoChiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Portage county WI
    I am new to chickens so dont take what I am saying and go with it, wait for more opinions maybe. But I have used wazine first and then use ivermectin horse paste wormer from any feed store , a small b.b. size dab on a small chunk of bread 1 piece per chicken 2 weeks later. It seems to work fine so far... Wisco
    P.S. I had worms eerrrr no, they had worms , humane society couldnt tell me what kind but they did a float, a month later I ummmmm, >they had a clear float!! LOL

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    This "Worm Off" is the same as Wazine, just in tablet form, and I'm sure the strength might be a little different. It says to use one tablet per 4 lbs. body weight. I don't have anywhere to buy Wazine, nor do I want to wait for it to come in the mail if I order it. I thought I would follow it up with horse wormer like you did, because I also have that in the house, but wanted to use the Worm Off first. Thanks though.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sometimes people squirt medicine into bread pieces and then feed it to the chickens. Also be aware there is an egg withdrawal period for some wormers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by