Dumb question central! Click here to have your question answered!

Ha! I'm sure she was happy with you afterwards!
smile.png

LOL actually I wasn't allowed to do it
sad.png
My dad said that I was to nice too the chickens and so he had to do it because I wouldn't get her cold enough. And then he held her in for way to long and I cried because she was freezing and my dad wouldn't let me hold her. Thankfully she survived, and then went back into the nest box to sit on her eggs
lol.png

Speaking of the broody thing... does it just mean egg sitting? Or does it apply to the ability/desire to actually raise the chicks? I was reading on the caponizing thread (I read all sorts of stuff here, I don't even know if I want to do that... ever) and it was saying that they are good with chicks like it was a bonus.

I see on breed pickers you can choose if you want a more or less broody breed. Does having a less broody one mean they'll never set? Or just that it's difficult to get them to?

I'm a total rookie, but I think broody refers to how often a hen will try to hatch eggs. The more broody, the more frequent they will try to hatch. Less broody hens can set, but they are more unlikely to and can be hard to make set. If you want to hatch certain breeds, but the mother isn't a broody breed, you can give those eggs to a broody hen and she will usually hatch them for her. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I'm a total rookie, but I think broody refers to how often a hen will try to hatch eggs. The more broody, the more frequent they will try to hatch. Less broody hens can set, but they are more unlikely to and can be hard to make set. If you want to hatch certain breeds, but the mother isn't a broody breed, you can give those eggs to a broody hen and she will usually hatch them for her. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

correct

Back
Top Bottom