Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Pics
Dumbest thing I have ever been told about chicken eggs:

You cannot eat the first eggs they lay.
Why I ask.
Because they are full of yucky stuff.
Yucky stuff? What yucky stuff would that be? I ask.
You know from like cleaning the pipes out.

This from a college educated person.
roll.png

"Your eggs must be rotted or something. The white part isn't as liquid as the fresh eggs from the store."

"Those yolks are way too orange-ish. I think maybe your chickens are too old to lay edible eggs."

"Gross! Those brown eggs obviously came out of the roosters butt."

"Oh I only eat the white eggs, everyone knows they are lower in cholesterol than the brown ones. Just like pork is healthier than beef."

"I'll take some eggs but only the green ones from the vegetarian chickens."

I truly love some of the things I've heard since I started raising chickens.
barnie.gif
My neighbors think that "The green ones are rotten" and the "blue ones are sweet and lower in cholesterol" other than that, our neighbors think the same as yours. They really need to teach agriculture in schools, and maybe take a field trip to a farm.

Dumbest thing I have ever been told about chicken eggs:

You cannot eat the first eggs they lay.
Why I ask.
Because they are full of yucky stuff.
Yucky stuff? What yucky stuff would that be? I ask.
You know from like cleaning the pipes out.

This from a college educated person.
roll.png

That must be why we sometimes get those "fart" eggs.
big_smile.png

The other day, I had to explain very carefully that chickens don't lay multiple eggs a day to a friend of ours. She wants to get some chickens and thought that two hens would be enough for the four of them to eat several eggs every day. She thought they laid 5 to 6 a day.

Incredible.  Chickens are the same way and I would no more break a hen's broodiness than I would disturb a nesting eagle.

You say that until you have 7 broody hens at one time....one of those irritating silkies was supposed to be going to the show before she plucked her belly.

Well I don't break them, but I also don't give them eggs. One lucky hen will get the replacement layer chicks next Friday and whomever is still broody in three weeks gets ameraucana chicks.

You say that until you have 7 broody hens at one time....one of those irritating silkies was supposed to be going to the show before she plucked her belly.

Well I don't break them, but I also don't give them eggs. One lucky hen will get the replacement layer chicks next Friday and whomever is still broody in three weeks gets ameraucana chicks.

frow.gif
Hi Hinotori, you live in my old neck of the woods.

I had 11 hens go broody last summer and I agree, it is crazy when all those babies start popping. I don't always let them brood a whole bunch of eggs but I've never tried to "break them" Much like you said

Back
Top Bottom