Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

*Lady comes by the house with a large ministry donation*

Husband: Honey, can you come out her for a minute? Lady's got a question about your chickens.

Lady: What kind of chicken are those black-and-white ones?

Me: Oh, the stripey ones? They're Barred Rocks... *thinking about saying something about them just being hatchery stock*

Lady: Oh.. I always get them mixed up with Rhode Island Reds.

Me: *does not say that no, those are the red ones with the black tails...*

*Lady comes by the house with a large ministry donation*

Husband: Honey, can you come out her for a minute? Lady's got a question about your chickens.

Lady: What kind of chicken are those black-and-white ones?

Me: Oh, the stripey ones? They're Barred Rocks... *thinking about saying something about them just being hatchery stock*

Lady: Oh.. I always get them mixed up with Rhode Island Reds.

Me: *does not say that no, those are the red ones with the black tails...*

You would think that Rhode Island Reds would be easy to remember. They are the red ones...
How do you get them confused with a black and white striped bird?!
It's like people have lost the ability to use logical thinking.

One of my neighbors and I have turkeys the same age (about four months). One of mine came from the same breeder and hatch as two of theirs. The mother of my other one was the sister of the mother of their other two. So, out turkeys have similar genetics. Mine are nice and big and healthy, feathering well. Theirs look scrawny and very slow feathering. They came over and we're like "wow! Your turkeys look so good!" I've been telling them since they were babies they need high protein. I asked what they're feeding them. "Oh whatever they can find" (sigh) So then they went out of town last weekend and I was taking care of them. The only thing they had was a feeder of scratch. They don't free range them because they're afraid they'll take off. So instead they have the four of them in a prefab chicken coop good for probably three big chickens (though they had ten in it I think before a fox dug under and ate them all). They hardly ate any of the scratch, either. When they got back my husband and I went down there and I was talking to them and they mentioned they throw the turkeys some goat feed now and again since I said they need higher protein. Not only is it just STUPID, it puts me in an awkward position. I feel like I need to say something for the animals' sakes. When the other turkey ran off I was not surprised. They are the type that wants to collect "pets" but don't want to take the time or spend money to take care of them. They feed their ducks goat feed as well.

Last edited:
What's up with feeding poultry random mammal food? It's one thing to clean up after a sloppy horse or goat and still get their own food, but quite another to be fed a sole ration of low protein herbivore food when they are omnivores with different dietary needs.

incubator is still running still one pipping in shell and two alive one grey one black...
not sure how long to sit on the other three eggs

Idk there is a wide range of horse feed from hay to oats...who flipping knows. What gets me is the fact that it's not like you can't pick up chicken feed at the same place as horse feed and I'd bet they are about the same cost.

A decent horse feed is actually more expensive than chicken feed. I bet you dollars to donuts that when they say horse feed, they're talking about the cheapest sweet feed or AllStock you can get, which is usually $6-$8 a bag. And terrible for pretty much every animal out there. Nothing needs that much sugar.

Sounds like my mom. She feeds her ladies layer feed, but it's the cheepest you can buy and super low protein. Last year when they started their first molt I told her to give them extra protein to help them through it. She gave them a hard boiled egg split between 4 hens once a week. I told her that wasn't enough and suggested she try nutrina feather fixer but she didn't want to because it was more expensive. It took her hens over a month to finish their molt, and only one went back to laying that year, the rest waited until spring. Dad wanted to just butcher them and start over. This year she listened to me and as soon as molt started she switched to feather fixer and guess what? Not one molted for more than 2 weeks and some went back to laying even before they finished molting. Maybe she will listen next time. Maybe

Quote: I have still first time mom still want to fix it all right now of course
I did finaly move the two out my little peeps think I am Mom
ya.gif

A friend of mine recently posted pictures of eggs she purchased at her local grocery store in Japan. They have nice orange-yellow yolks like you'd get from a free ranged flock. A different friend of hers replied, stating "They are either organic or from Rhode Island Reds." I felt the need to educate, so I did point out that my free range chickens are not fed organic feed nor are they RIRs, but I still get the orangey colored yolks. I suppose, though, unless one raises chickens, one wouldn't know except for what the sign at the grocery store tells you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom