Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

That makes sense. I just know my mom always buys tons of meat from the store on sale and we freeze it but then we've thrown a lot away. I guess it could still be cooked and were just dumb LOL whoops
No reason to throw it out. Just cook it in a dish that covers the odd texture.
thumbsup.gif

We buy half a beef and pig local. Fish and shellfish we get ourselves. Chicken is only occasional when I have roosters.

I know the environmental impact of monocropping commercial produce as well as the huge number of animals that are killed or displaced because of it. Pastured beef has a smaller impact than that. So I try to buy produce in season and local to reduce that impact.

I try and follow the belief that as few animals should die for my meals as possible. So we eat beef a lot. Big animal so lots of meals.

Grandma always warned everyone to not make pets out of the food. She'd buy a hundred chicks each spring and the males went in the freezer.

Mom tells me that as kids they wouldn't listen and made them pets anyway. They would hope for females. Kids had to help with chores so when killing day came around there were a lot of tears as they plucked sometimes.

They had ducks for pets as well as the few araucana chickens that grandma got at the feed store one year in the 60s.

Vacuum sealing goes a long way towards eliminating freezer burn.  Frozen foods do have a "best by" date, but very few "best by" dates are hard limits.  Those generally represent when the food has lost a certain percentage of nutrient value.  I like the following site for determining how long various foods are "best for":

http://stilltasty.com

Wrap meat in plastic, then in paper. Keep freezer at or below 0 and a thermometer in there. Keep it full as well. It cools better that way.

Our meat tastes just fine after the year it takes us to finish it.

No reason to throw it out. Just cook it in a dish that covers the odd texture. :thumbsup

Thanks for all the info!

I think I'm gonna start buying local meat and also vegetables etc and I'll also wrap stuff better aha

I was raised on a black angus farm with pigs and chickens and a couple milk cows so I remember eating steaks and baked chicken, and going out to the smoke house to get a slab of bacon oh them were the good old days!! Baked or fried chicken every Sunday. Eggs and bacon or sausage every morning and some kind o beef for supper!! Had to get up at 3 am to feed the cows and do chores then come back in at 7 am and have a great big breakfast! Cat head biscuits with home made butter and honey, eggs fried sunnyside up bacon thick sliced and better than anything nowadays fresh Milk not in a plastic jug but in a bucket that was cooled off in the spring water that was ice cold and coffee then an hour to listen to the farm report then off to plant tobacco or bale hay lunch was ham sandwiches and ice tea oh how I miss that

Last edited:
You can make anything sound weird if you just state what it is.

We had some ground grass seed mixed with water, a fungus, and ground rock then cooked. After cutting up, It was recooked then smeared with a mixture of ground rock and the separated fat from bovine lactation. After that we sprinkled it with crystalized grass sap and ground tree bark.

We happily consumed it then.

Last edited:
My husband asked what is wrong with me. Of course he asked that last night when I came up with the idea of stuffing a chick back in an egg and taking a picture of it.
The chick looks like he's thinking "Mom, do you have any idea how long it took me to get OUT of an egg?? I don't wanna go back in!"

Back
Top Bottom