Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Pics
@TBirdsTheWord33 Our son won't touch store bought eggs anymore. Our neighbor's egg cup runnerh over, so she has been given us some of her extras until our girls lay regularly - ever since his first fresh egg, whenever i make eggs for breakfast he asks me if it's a real egg or a store egg!

Last edited:
Quote:
I LOVE it!!! Every chicken keeper I know, my family members included, has to practically gag down store-bought eggs. It's obvious your son has an appreciation for the "good stuff"!

Quote:
I LOVE it!!! Every chicken keeper I know, my family members included, has to practically gag down store-bought eggs. It's obvious your son has an appreciation for the "good stuff"!

The fiance and I took a dozen eggs from our flock to give to his dad, Tom, the last time we went to see his parents and lemme tell you I have never seen Tom that excited. It was pretty satisfying.

In other news, my buff orpington lays eggs with cloudy whites, right? The first one freaked me out a little but I figured it was okay and have since done the googling to find out it's probably okay (I've never gotten sick off her eggs, so). But I did give my dad a bunch of her eggs a while back and I have to wonder what he thought about them. I hope he didn't throw them out. :(

One of my husband's co-workers virtually yelled at my husband that free-range eggs from our farm aren't any different or better than commercial eggs from the store. I would venture to say that he's never had a free-range egg. Also, when my SIL found out we had gotten chickens, she asked us in sheer disgust, "What's the point of having chickens?"

And, just how did he come by this information?

And, just how did he come by this information?

I'm not quite sure, honestly. I don't get it either.
idunno.gif

I had a guy ask how many eggs I was getting from my chickens a day. I told him "None. They're 10 weeks old." He informed me (quite condescendingly I might add) that I was obviously not only an amateur, (which I am) but also very "out of touch with reality" for believing in, and feeding them commercial starter crumbles, which are actually designed to delay laying in chickens, so that you have to keep buying MORE from the companies that make the chicken feed. His proof? He has always had ALL of his hens lay 2-3 eggs per DAY by 10 weeks of age by feeding them dog food and a little beer. (Not enough to get them drunk of course; that'd be crazy!)....................
|:•\
I think he might have had a little too much kibble and beer himself.

One of my husband's co-workers virtually yelled at my husband that free-range eggs from our farm aren't any different or better than commercial eggs from the store
You know how Eggland's Best is always advertising about the quality of their eggs?
I always have to look at store eggs to compare to mine Of course one of the differences is the thickness of the shell. Store eggs have thin, very thin shells.
Last week at the store I opened a carton of Eggland's Besh (which had gone up in price from the previous week. Gently I touched an egg and went to pick it up to compare sizes with my average eggs. The shell was so thin my finger went right through it. I was so startled I pulled my hand back and my palm touched another egg in the same carton which also shattered. UGH! I looked at the egg shells and they were translucent.
I had to compare with the store's own brand which had thicker shells than the Eggland's Best (Which, of course, cost more).
Of course mine were the best of all, hands down.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekel18042

I always have to look at store eggs to compare to mine Of course one of the differences is the thickness of the shell. Store eggs have thin, very thin shells When I got my first egg, from my EE, it felt so solid that I mistook it for one of the fake eggs I'd put in the nest box. Something about it didn't seem right, so I don't know why, but I tapped it pretty hard on the edge of the coop a couple of times. No crack or anything, so I thought, "well, I guess it is one of the fake eggs." I set it down and finished cleaning. I picked it up to put it back in the nest box and realized, "hey, this egg is light green and all of my fake eggs are brown!" I was astounded by how thick the shell on that egg was. It took two hard wacks against the side of a bowl to crack it open when I finally ate it. I'm still amazed by how much harder it is to crack one of my girl's eggs than a store egg.

Back
Top Bottom