Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Pics
Anyone else think it's sometimes VERY hard to discern whether some people are joking or being serious? Someone said something really stupid to me once (not about chickens, somethign else) and I laughed and had to catch myself because she was ACTUALLY serious! OOPS... lol
hide.gif

Oh yeah definitely!! I have a very dry sense of humor and I'm such a geek, so really insane smart stuff cracks me up! I can't figure out when people are serious because so much weird stuff is funny to me!!

My mom also grew up on a small dairy farm, before my gramps switched to beef cattle. When I told her I was getting chickens, she said, "Why? They're mean and all they do is poop. I hated the chickens." Then she went on about how the roosters would chase her. So I think maybe some people had bad experiences as children.

That is totally true! So many people grew up in a time where chickens were a source of food, nothing more. What I find surprising is so many people today still have such misconceptions about chickens. The other day, I was walking around carrying one of my black sex-links, Sweetie (now 12 weeks old). The neighbors across the street wanted to see her up close. I was petting Sweetie as usual and she gave me what I call a "chicken hug". She nuzzled my neck and then draped her head way over my shoulder. We kind of nuzzle each other back and forth and my neighbors were standing their with their mouths gaping open. The were completely shocked that a chicken could be so sweet and blatantly affectionate. They said they probably wouldn't have believed it had they not seen it in person. The nice thing is that all the neighbors around here are curious about the chickens and want to learn about them (they also enjoy the fresh eggs we share with them!!)

Every snowflake is special right? That's what our parents said, but the fact is that being special doesn't make one better or worse. Jobs are not equal but they have to be done regardless of one's specialness, and jobs are not the crux of a person's being. Therefore even having a crud job should never detract from a sense of self worth. Everyone is someone's child. All men are created equal, but we choose after that to find meaning in our lives and live them well regardless of circumstances.

I push a warehouse delivery cart for a hospital. I deliver all the stuff to the departments. Without me, they can't do procedures to save lives, but I am a very small and easily replaced cog in a very large machine.

I do advise a lot of doctors on their backyard chickens though! Haha! I have been asked about chicken a spawning, how and why chickens mate, that roosters are chickens too, that chickens poop and pee and lay eggs from the same place, the fact that bantams are a size classification like ponies and horses, oh, so much...

Every snowflake is special right? That's what our parents said, but the fact is that being special doesn't make one better or worse. Jobs are not equal but they have to be done regardless of one's specialness, and jobs are not the crux of a person's being. Therefore even having a crud job should never detract from a sense of self worth. Everyone is someone's child. All men are created equal, but we choose after that to find meaning in our lives and live them well regardless of circumstances.

I push a warehouse delivery cart for a hospital. I deliver all the stuff to the departments. Without me, they can't do procedures to save lives, but I am a very small and easily replaced cog in a very large machine.

I do advise a lot of doctors on their backyard chickens though! Haha! I have been asked about chicken a spawning, how and why chickens mate, that roosters are chickens too, that chickens poop and pee and lay eggs from the same place, the fact that bantams are a size classification like ponies and horses, oh, so much...

Since I'm out in the country and typically drive 90 minutes or more to get to my doctors, I find most of them are curious about the rural lifestyle. After several questions, I'll usually bring them a dozen of my finest, free range eggs (wanna keep on the doctors' best sides), and love to see their expressions when receiving blue, green, and brown ones. It generates a million questions and, after consuming the first dozen, a plea for more. I've even gotten a few of them interested in learning more about organic foods. I'm always amazed at how limited their knowledge of non-industrial food is. But, I'm happy to share what I know, and refer them on to the likes of Joel Salatin and Michael Pollan. :^)

Last edited:
I had someone in my class today ask me to do a detailed lecture on... erm... chicken anatomy to her awful ex-boyfriend just to see his reaction. I almost did it, because I also wanted to see his face, but it's middle school. I'm not wasting my reputation on that.
lol.png

No one has ever said anything dumb about my chickens, however, there was a time I did raise two black pigs. Some one in the neighboor hood kept calling animal control because supposidly my two "black labs" were outside without a shelter. Animal control had to take a picture to prove to the big boss that they weren't really dogs. Funny thing is the pigs did have a dog house "shelter". According to animal control pigs in our area don't even need a shelter. Animal control wouldn't say who it was that called but I must live next to mr. Magoo.

Back
Top Bottom