Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

OK, so let's forget the sheltered city dwellers that we can kinda give a pass to
tongue.png
How about some silliness from fellow farm folk? While discussing my coop design and construction around dinner the other night with a person who has herself had chickens off and on for the better part of 20 years, I mentioned that I was going to try hen curtains on my nesting boxes. When I explained the reasoning behind it she said "that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, but I guess it will look cute. Will you be putting up matching curtains on the coop windows too? (sarcastically)" After which I was taunted for a while about whether my hens wanted curtains themed in their favorite football team's colors and logo.
roll.png

I can kinda see that one though, or at least why she'd be surprised, since not everyone puts curtains on the boxes or has fancy coops. Although they could have said it a little less rudely haha I think it will look cute :)

That's good to know, thanks. I think I'll cut back a little. And ohhh okay, sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought maybe you meant both of us haha you're right, I don't see why people follow the bags as law. But even more so I don't see how companies can even be allowed to have such absurd numbers on the bag. But then again with some brands of food with lots of fillers and lower quality they probably do eat a lot more food. But with all the fillers and crap, they're getting more carbs and junk than protein probably making them fatter. Really sad. And ugh. My dad was like that when I first started measuring the food last year, thought it was "mean" to limit him and still thinks it's "mean" when I suggested no scraps. Same for making him wait outside the kitchen when we eat. Most rules are "mean."
hmm.png
and i don't know what she feeds but tbh with some of those feeds he may very well be more hungry with less food. We used to feed our cat Meow Mix free choice and she was ALWAYS hungry but then about 2 years ago we switched both pets to better foods and now she's not as hungry. We went through a lot of brands before finding one they liked and for the dog we still rotate flavors and brands but now she likes one. We actually didn't find one she liked until recently. We first tried Earthborn Holistic Primitive Feline and she DEVOURED it but when it ran out I tried Wellness CORE indoor since the dog liked CORE but she HATED it. I thought she was being a brat and tried to force it for months until just a couple months ago I found Wellness adulth health formula which she LOVED so we now use that. But we have a few other brands we want to try. The dog switches between wellness, zignature, fromm, merricks, earthborn, etc. And sometimes cheaper ones. He had less energy on Canidae all life stages we found. It's definitely more expensive but worth it to me but if i had a lot of dogs I'd probably feed something cheaper. We recently tried 4 Health (tractor supplys brand) wet and he loves that. He's been on just about every advertised brand and did fine but he's doing better on this. The cat on the other hand was more lethargic and sickish. Shes doing much better. I dont like that its not grain free but oh well, its a great brand. She also gets wet food now which helps. So anyhow, its a little ridiculous to over feed him cause he's "hungry" but also the food may make him hungry too

Have you checked out chewy.com? I used to feed 4Health (no complaints, honestly) but we moved further away from TSC and I didn't fancy the idea of traveling there every 2-3 weeks for dog food (we go through 2 30lbs bags every three weeks now with 5 dogs). I researched the different foods on Chewy and found the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Cheesy, sure, but the ingredients are good and best thing? Free shipping to my DOOR. I love Chewy. Really do.

And another side note on anyone looking to drop weight on their dogs, replace the reduced amount of kibble with frozen green beans (warmed enough to knock the chill off). The green beans act as a filler without adding calories. I had a foster dog who would do ANYTHING for food. She was up to 47lbs when she came to my house because her previous fosters loved her with food. I got her down to a sleek 36lbs with the addition of green beans. She ate them right up and would still continue to schmooze for more food LOL

Have you checked out chewy.com? I used to feed 4Health (no complaints, honestly) but we moved further away from TSC and I didn't fancy the idea of traveling there every 2-3 weeks for dog food (we go through 2 30lbs bags every three weeks now with 5 dogs). I researched the different foods on Chewy and found the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Cheesy, sure, but the ingredients are good and best thing? Free shipping to my DOOR. I love Chewy. Really do. 

And another side note on anyone looking to drop weight on their dogs, replace the reduced amount of kibble with frozen green beans (warmed enough to knock the chill off). The green beans act as a filler without adding calories. I had a foster dog who would do ANYTHING for food. She was up to 47lbs when she came to my house because her previous fosters loved her with food. I got her down to a sleek 36lbs with the addition of green beans. She ate them right up and would still continue to schmooze for more food LOL 

Yes actually! Found them when we first switched foods and now I buy all their food there, except the most recent cat food which I found at the feed store, and except of course if I forget to order and we run out. Haha but I LOVE them, they're great!! I've ordered food, toys, treats, chews, etc. They're great. And I've found their customer service is too. And of course how they carry like every brand ever
1f602.png
I'm gonna have to look into that brand, we haven't been rotating as much lately and I'd really like to get back to doing it and of course adding more flavors for variety. I'm lucky we only have one dog and that although he's huge he doesn't eat much at all. We go through the bag in maybe a month, month and a half.

And wow I never thought of that. That's a great tip, thanks!

I can kinda see that one though, or at least why she'd be surprised, since not everyone puts curtains on the boxes or has fancy coops. Although they could have said it a little less rudely haha I think it will look cute
smile.png
lol Yeah, I totally get that not everyone has them. I'd wager that most don't, although I though they might have been heard of at least. But for someone who constantly battled broody hens hiding eggs all over the doggone place, I figured she might at least be interested in hearing how others have discovered that the curtains can really help with those issues. Oh well, some people only want to do things the way they've always done them and any deviation is just weird and unnecessary. To each their own!

lol Yeah, I totally get that not everyone has them. I'd wager that most don't, although I though they might have been heard of at least. But for someone who constantly battled broody hens hiding eggs all over the doggone place, I figured she might at least be interested in hearing how others have discovered that the curtains can really help with those issues. Oh well, some people only want to do things the way they've always done them and any deviation is just weird and unnecessary. To each their own!

Hmmm, yeah that definitely is weird then!! Didn't realize they could help with that. But their loss i guess lol

Thanks for all the great info! Even though it started with dumb questions lol

Do you think it would help arthritis or joint problems? Cause my dad has a bad hip, he got one replaced in October (and they fractured his femur in the process) but now his other one hurts cause he was putting his weight on it for a while. He wants to eventually get it replaced too but for now it just hurts. And he also claims he can't move or walk much cause his leg starts hurting but personally I think it might hurt more because he doesn't move. But it's kind of a catch 22, moving hurts it but moving more would help it. He's also overweight, he's 6' 3" and like 300 pounds, maybe a little more, idk, he never shares, so that adds to it i think and eating poorly.

sorry, that was kind of irrelevant haha

And ahhh okay, that makes sense. I guess I've always heard it said they need food out all the time but maybe not. I'm gonna start free ranging more I think and when I do they don't tend to eat as much food. But they also fly up on the coop roof multiple times daily so that helps stay a little in shape i think. Sometimes they fly 4-5 feet straight up to the roof peak, others land on the nest boxes, about 2-3 feet high, first then hop up. Keeps their wings flapping though.

It always makes me sad, and a little mad, when people over feed their dogs so much they turn round. How do they not see how fat they are? Especially small dogs it's more sad but any dogs. And cats. And also how everyone thinks labs are supposed to be fat. English Labs are a little stockier, sure, but people keep them obese. I admit my dog is a little bit overweight now but the vet didn't say anything. He's actually looking a tad skinny. I think he's just not extremely fit, he could use getting in shape. His hips are bad too and he's got a recurring leg injury plus I'm lazy so he doesn't exercise much or at all. Sleeps all day. Part of it is breed and that he's big to walk and the injury but I need to start. It might help. Maybe swimming? He's free fed because as a puppy he was scheduled but then he would refuse to eat for a week, not sure when we switched. But he's not a typical Lab or Lab mix and actually can be picky with food. Our old Lab would have eaten the whole bowl if we left food out. Not Gator. We used to fill it with like 8 cups and it took him days or a week to eat it but now we only put in the amount for one day (well admittedly I put enough for 2 days in lately) as well as switching to a better food and a food he likes. He ate more on worse foods. He honestly generally eats maybe 3 or 4 cups if that when theoretically a dog of his size should, according to most bags, be eating 5 or 6 cups a day. We put that much in but he doesn't eat it unless he exercises. But I do think he needs more exercise. As do I. Maybe we'll start walking together.

Sorry I keep going off on tangents
lol.png

I may have the odd Lab out, but mine is not very food oriented. Of course treats and cheese she goes crazy for, but actual dog food? She's never really liked it well enough to gorge herself, except for when we got her from the pound and she was a bit underweight. Truthfully sometimes she'll eat her breakfast food and not eat dinner until the next morning or not eat breakfast until evening. And she's had all sorts of brands, from Purina to Blu. She's never had the stereotypical Lab weight problem, despite the fact that her dog aggressive behavior prevented her from being taken on walks. Of course now at 12 years old she's a little bit overweight as she sleeps most of the day, but she's definitely not one of those round roly-poly type Labs that has to waddle around.

Quote: Moose our Lab at 4 is not roly poly but very stout all muscle..
the dogs are out most the time when it nice and we are out with them
4 of the go crazy we have 3 chuck it's that give oomph to throwing
we all do it at once at least 3 times a week for about an hour each time
even our 2 8 plus years olds love the game

Moose our Lab at 4 is not roly poly but very stout all muscle..
the dogs are out most the time when it nice and we are out with them
4 of the go crazy we have 3 chuck it's that give oomph to throwing
we all do it at once at least 3 times a week for about an hour each time
even our 2 8 plus years olds love the game
That's funny mine was terrible at "fetch" she didn't really seem to understand the concept, but she used to love to play soccer. Now she'll chase the ball once or twice and then pretend she can't find it, so she doesn't have to play anymore. She also always makes a beeline towards the door when we're outside. Guess she loves the AC as much as the rest of us.

Does your Lab love to sunbathe? Lacy always did that when she was younger, she'd go and lie out in the middle of the sun even though it was blazing hot.

OK, so let's forget the sheltered city dwellers that we can kinda give a pass to
tongue.png
How about some silliness from fellow farm folk? While discussing my coop design and construction around dinner the other night with a person who has herself had chickens off and on for the better part of 20 years, I mentioned that I was going to try hen curtains on my nesting boxes. When I explained the reasoning behind it she said "that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, but I guess it will look cute. Will you be putting up matching curtains on the coop windows too? (sarcastically)" After which I was taunted for a while about whether my hens wanted curtains themed in their favorite football team's colors and logo.
roll.png
But I don't want to subject my girls to the abusive relationship that comes with being a Detroit Lions fan.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom