Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

My husband was asked today, by a coworker, if we would sell a chicken. Just one. Husband said 'Yes, we do occasionally have birds for sale. Why?' Coworker replies, 'Oh, I think it would just be neat to have a rooster.' As in, only one chicken. One male chicken...
Husband tells him, if he's serious, he needs to stop by the house and talk to me. When my husband got home, and tells me this, I say, "No. Just no. I will not give a lone chick to someone who has never had any chickens, and has no plans for more. And further more, I would never intentionally give a cockerel to a first timer. Just no."
Animals are not something you get on a whim, or because you want to be able to say "I have a _____." Not gonna be from my flock. Absolutely not.

Junebuggena: Good for you! Some people...
I have a neighbor who gets pets on a whim. In the eight years their family has lived there, there have been: 9 cats, 6 dogs(4 were aggressive, rescued pitbulls, because they thought it would be cool(I have nothing against the breed, but they let theirs nearly kill my autistic cat and try to bite my little cousin)), 3 ferrets, a parakeet, and a hamster. Their house smells like animal feces and urine, and 6 cats, 3 dogs, the ferrets, parakeet, and hamster all died within 2 years. They didn't take care of many of them, and kept the dogs either loose in the unfenced yard without interaction, or penned up in small kennels.
When our 14 year old lab passed away, we tried to adopt. She called the shelter and told them our dogs were kept outside. True, we keep our cats and dogs outside, but have an underground dog fence on 2.5 acres, we have a dog door into the garage for the animals, and they all come inside during extreme weather(tornado/heat/cold). But she added a nice little gem, she told them we left them unattended outside for hours, and that we let them kill wildlife(we live next to a state park). We were declined a pair of Labradors that were put down the next day. Needless to say, we don't get along.
*the killing wildlife- our old lab took down two bucks that charged at my brother, sister, and I(I think my brother was 12, I was 6, and my sister was 5) when we were in the woods behind our house(not state park). He also killed woodchucks, rabbits, squirrels, and raccoons that were on our property. He never touched a hair on the cats, and would walk around with Tillie(cat) when he started going blind.

I have a neighbor who gets pets on a whim. In the eight years their family has lived there, there have been: 9 cats, 6 dogs(4 were aggressive, rescued pitbulls, because they thought it would be cool(I have nothing against the breed, but they let theirs nearly kill my autistic cat and try to bite my little cousin)), 3 ferrets, a parakeet, and a hamster. Their house smells like animal feces and urine, and 6 cats, 3 dogs, the ferrets, parakeet, and hamster all died within 2 years. They didn't take care of many of them, and kept the dogs either loose in the unfenced yard without interaction, or penned up in small kennels.
When our 14 year old lab passed away, we tried to adopt. She called the shelter and told them our dogs were kept outside. True, we keep our cats and dogs outside, but have an underground dog fence on 2.5 acres, we have a dog door into the garage for the animals, and they all come inside during extreme weather(tornado/heat/cold). But she added a nice little gem, she told them we left them unattended outside for hours, and that we let them kill wildlife(we live next to a state park). We were declined a pair of Labradors that were put down the next day. Needless to say, we don't get along.
*the killing wildlife- our old lab took down two bucks that charged at my brother, sister, and I(I think my brother was 12, I was 6, and my sister was 5) when we were in the woods behind our house(not state park). He also killed woodchucks, rabbits, squirrels, and raccoons that were on our property. He never touched a hair on the cats, and would walk around with Tillie(cat) when he started going blind.
I am almost think I would move
he.gif
if I was able

What i,don't get is how they were allowed to adopt and you werent or how they had the nerve to call and say those things when they literally abuse their animals??????

My husband was asked today, by a coworker, if we would sell a chicken. Just one. Husband said 'Yes, we do occasionally have birds for sale. Why?' Coworker replies, 'Oh, I think it would just be neat to have a rooster.' As in, only one chicken. One male chicken...
Husband tells him, if he's serious, he needs to stop by the house and talk to me. When my husband got home, and tells me this, I say, "No. Just no. I will not give a lone chick to someone who has never had any chickens, and has no plans for more. And further more, I would never intentionally give a cockerel to a first timer. Just no."
Animals are not something you get on a whim, or because you want to be able to say "I have a _____." Not gonna be from my flock. Absolutely not.

Good for you! A lot of folks would have given him one just to get rid of their extra roosters.

Good for you! A lot of folks would have given him one just to get rid of their extra roosters.
I have too much invested in them to just give them away. Collecting and storing the eggs, incubation, brooding, and then there is all the money spent feeding them. They all end up on the dinner table, unless a friend needs some fresh blood in their flock.

Ok, so I had to buy eggs last week. As I was digging through the pile to check the julian dates, the dairy man/boy came out to see if he could help me find something, as obviously I was nuts.

I explained about the dating system on egg cartons, which got into how old eggs in the case are really, why they are kept in the cold, and how they co.e in more colours than white and brown. By the time I was done, i had a captivated audience of three, all googling colored eggs and local fresh egg producers.

One lady thought brown eggs meant they were all natural and organic. One lady refused to eat anything but the cleaned eggs, which are brown eggs that were bleached to show they are clean.

I told them eggs are like a car. They come in all sizes and colours, but underneath, they are all still cars.

I explained bloom, and storage, and fertile and non fertile and how you can hold fertile eggs and then start the incubation process.

45 minutes later i HAD to get going.... lol but they were all so interested!

people don't even know what a farm is anymore I am pretty sure

After you put down the neighbors, invite someone from the shelter to check things out at your house before they take what some lunatic says as gospel. They should be ashamed for putting the labs down without at least talking to you first and giving the animals a chance.

As others have said, good for you! I have had chickens only for a short period of time but I grew up with them years ago and even still I had to do a lot of reading first. Now that I have chickens I always get people asking me if I want more because they don't know what to do with theirs. I don't understand why people get animals, be they pets or for production, without first understanding the responsibility involved.

I mean, I guess I need to stop assuming that everyone had the same upbringing as I but my parents taught me responsibility as a boy with many things but pets in particular because they are living breathing things that require a lot of time, energy and care. Heck, that is even something we picked up from sitcoms growing up. The old, daddy I want a puppy skit.

That aside, I don't find that roosters make good pets. Out of 7 I have one and only one that is semi friendly.

-------

As for the original post: I have people tell me that they won't eat brown eggs because they taste funny and are rubbery. I will give them that fresh eggs DO taste a little different but not by much and in a good way, at least I think so. My brother tells me that my nephew checks the eggs in the fridge to make sure they are white eggs because he does not want to eat those funny brown eggs. If he has to check what they look like, he is not tasting the difference but associating it with color...Growing up we paid extra for farm fresh brown eggs at local markets. Sigh...

Last edited:
I have too much invested in them to just give them away. Collecting and storing the eggs, incubation, brooding, and then there is all the money spent feeding them. They all end up on the dinner table, unless a friend needs some fresh blood in their flock.

Same here....and who can you trust with your own chickens? I've found no one I'd trust to give my chickens the life they currently are living, so why send them out in the world to be tortured by someone who think feeding them a lot means they are giving good care?

I too have people asking me if I want more chickens....if I wanted more I'd certainly go and get them, not wait around to take in those poor birds no longer wanted by someone who found out that keeping chickens takes work, money and time. I do, however, benefit in the fall from those who decide that 5 roosters are too many and those I put into a canning jar for winter soup.

It's always astounding to me the sheer number of people who will obtain an animal on impulse without even a shelter for it to live in, no plans for the animal's life, nor any idea to fully care for said animal. I think on them much like the blueberry girl on Willy Wonka...."I want it!!!" and so they take it, simply because they want it at that moment.

Or like those folks who keep hatching out chicks because they just LOVE to hatch out chicks....but then they don't want or can't have roosters where they live or they don't have enough room to house all the chicks they hatch, so the animals suffer dearly. Then you see them on a thread hatching out more chicks.....it's bizarre. We live in an age of "if I want it, I will have it" regardless of the cost to~or cost of~ the "it".

Back
Top Bottom