Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I enjoy the benefits of the buckets around here it cost less than a Home Depot bucket and just needs ringing out with water to clean and be ready and I love the lids how they fold down but don't come all the way off it's handy that way

I used to have bees and had one cat that thought it was fun to stick its paw into the hive until he got nailed on the tip of his nose I never seen a cat run and jump like that before! But after that he made a detour around the hives

When my kids were younger they used to go in the shallow part of the lake (up close to the house) in a canoe. If they fell out, they were only knee deep and could climb right back in. We had a Sheltie, Sally, who was like the dog Nana in Peter Pan. She would run back and forth along the bank, barking, trying to get the kids to come in. One day my daughter saw a hornet's nest in a tree on the bank and decided (brilliantly) to hit it with her paddle. I found this out when the dog came to the door whining, with her nose looking like a soft ball. She had about a dozen stings. Poor thing. So, I took her in the kitchen, put some baking soda and water paste all over her snout, and told her to "stay". She did. When I told her "ok", she shook the dried paste off her nose, which now looked better. My son, who was about 5 at the time, ratted out his older "stister". Sally ran back out with my son, and returned to chasing after the kids, none the worse for wear.

Pets are wonderful ... especially with children.

Ew to the faux-food!!

Yuck. And people talk about GMOs. Ick.

What's the point?

They could take those bajillions of dollars used to come up with that stuff and instead fund real farms that raise real animals. Instead of developing all the farms into subdivisions and warehouses and such.

Just my opinion it seems like a much better use of money that way.

We use our cat litter containers inside the coop. We cut the large flap off the top and lay it on its side the small flap them becomes a nice edge to keep the shavings in.

We love them because they're easy to clean and we don't attach them to anything. We are developing a set up that will nestle each nest box in the setup but not require them to be attached. We like this idea because of broody chickens. In this way we can just pick up the entire box broody and all(except for a few of our more flighty chickens) to move them to a broody pen. No need to upset the broody and risk her quitting setting.

It's great for this purpose! We just pile shavings in front of the box on both sides of the flap before hatch and that makes a little ramp for chicks. I do recommend drilling a couple small holes in the boxes for ventilation. We had a broody buff Orpington that likes to set backwards last summer and with her feathers fluffed up she would block out the air flow and ended up with wet shavings from condensation. She also seemed to get lethargic from lack of oxygen we believe. Lol she's the only bird we've ever had problems with in them.

Ew to the faux-food!!

Yuck. And people talk about GMOs. Ick.

What's the point?

They could take those bajillions of dollars used to come up with that stuff and instead fund real farms that raise real animals. Instead of developing all the farms into subdivisions and warehouses and such.

Just my opinion it seems like a much better use of money that way.

We use our cat litter containers inside the coop. We cut the large flap off the top and lay it on its side the small flap them becomes a nice edge to keep the shavings in.

We love them because they're easy to clean and we don't attach them to anything. We are developing a set up that will nestle each nest box in the setup but not require them to be attached. We like this idea because of broody chickens. In this way we can just pick up the entire box broody and all(except for a few of our more flighty chickens) to move them to a broody pen. No need to upset the broody and risk her quitting setting.

It's great for this purpose! We just pile shavings in front of the box on both sides of the flap before hatch and that makes a little ramp for chicks. I do recommend drilling a couple small holes in the boxes for ventilation. We had a broody buff Orpington that likes to set backwards last summer and with her feathers fluffed up she would block out the air flow and ended up with wet shavings from condensation. She also seemed to get lethargic from lack of oxygen we believe. Lol she's the only bird we've ever had problems with in them.

Less waste and pollution, land use, and better conversion of energy.

Can be sent to places where animals are hard or impossible to farm.

Farming is not sustainable - not with our current practices and with the population growth trends, and our love for picky eating and throwing food in the garbage.

Obviously it was very expensive to come up with. So was the first computer.

ETA Heres the other one that I read about a while back ago but couldn't find earlier. https://www.impossiblefoods.com/

From the FAQ

Producing the Impossible Burger requires a quarter of the water used to produce the same burger from a cow, 1/20th of the land and 1/8th of the greenhouse gas emissions. In fact, switching from a conventional burger made from cows to a quarter-pound Impossible Burger saves as much water as a 10-minute shower. It eliminates the greenhouse gases emitted by driving 18 miles in an average car. And it liberates 75 square feet of land for wildlife.

Last edited:
My cats like to sneak up on the girls and surprise them. One then looks at me like he's laughing about having such fun. I watched as one of the girls spun around and pecked him on top of his punkin' head! He jumped up in the air, did a 180, landed facing the opposite way, and took off like a shot. The chicken got the last laugh.
HAHA My cat probably would have tried the same... except we have a rooster that's like twice her size, and she's smart enough to think twice about it. She still likes to stalk them tho.

Quote:
So...I have 3 cats and am wondering what the best way to keep them from killing chicks is. They are outside cats, I have 9 one week old chicks right now, but will have about 40 in another 2 and a half weeks. I am wondering how big you all think they need to be before they are safe from a cat that is used to hunting its food? Don't want to lose any!

So...I have 3 cats and am wondering what the best way to keep them from killing chicks is. They are outside cats, I have 9 one week old chicks right now, but will have about 40 in another 2 and a half weeks. I am wondering how big you all think they need to be before they are safe from a cat that is used to hunting its food? Don't want to lose any!

I have two four year old barn cats that have hunted their entire life. I recently had to move my chickens to the barn due to a pack of dogs tearing their runs up and killing 3. I have 13 9 week old pullets, 3 year old hens, and a year old rooster that took on one dog. The cats don't even look at them once the rooster pecked one of them. I also have some house cats, one is scared of the peeping baby chickens make. I would wait until they are at least well feathered and spend time around them with the cats when you move them outside; if the cats start stalking the chickens scare it off, spray it with a hose, make a loud bang etc. till they no longer want to look at them anymore.

Any chick without an adult is vulnerable I don't think pulleys would be harmed unless you have a cat that is a true hunter that would be a problem but with my hunter she only hunts squirrels and lizards

My mother-in-law looked at my husband like he was crazy when he told her we would butcher the extra cockerels. She didn't know why we couldn't just keep them. Not everyone wants 14 roosters with their 7 hens.

Shockingly, she was not amused that her son was the one that helped a friend butcher them. My husband was raised in a suburb of a large Georgian city, raising your own food is unheard of.

Back
Top Bottom