Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I think PETA has wonderful ideals of treating animals with humane respect. However, there is a line.
Last year, a local research facility lost a goat (because it escaped at the loading dock). The goat, named William the Goat (Billy the Kid...), had just had a knee replacement surgery to study common stress injuries and different treatments. Basically, the goat roamed the city for a little over 2 weeks, evading police (whom had made wanted posters for the station) and university employees. Eventually they caught him, in perfect health - other than a little lighter from the miles of running - and he was euthanized a few months later to complete the study. PETA had raised a stink, trying to convince people to "save" the goat and begging the university to let them find sanctuary for William. My dad, who works animal care at the university, went on to tell me that, not only was that goat humanely taken care of in every way, but that if he ever needed knee surgery, he was going to ask the vet at work (whom had done the surgery for the goats). He figured if the goat could evade police and be seen running throughout 3 different cities, the knee surgery went fine.
Today I was asked what I do with the eggs from my chickens. After making sure of what they meant, I told them "Some go in the incubator, some in the fridge, some sold, and some get scrambled up for the chickens." Their jaw dropped. "So, your chickens lay eggs you can EAT?" Yup. Because they are well cared for and named, unlike some commercial chickens, they must not be able to lay edible eggs, like commercial chickens. Sometimes I feel bad telling people the truth, because they either have a really embarrassing moment or they just go on being ignorant.

Last edited:
I live on a grade A dairy. Grew up drinking milk fresh from the tank..Still do. Last week I told a 77 yr old man who used to work as an inspector that i did that. He said you know its not pasturized right? Im like uh yeah.....

I live on a grade A dairy. Grew up drinking milk fresh from the tank..Still do. Last week I told a 77 yr old man who used to work as an inspector that i did that. He said you know its not pasturized right? Im like uh yeah.....

I might have been like "Oh my gawd! What's going to happen to me?!?!" and act really panicked just to see what he would say.

Funny I thought that when you squeeze it out of tot tweet it was pasteurized lol I have had to milk the cow and I'd get a glass as soon as I got back to the house still warm! Cats loved it too

I think PETA has wonderful ideals of treating animals with humane respect. However, there is a line.
Last year, a local research facility lost a goat (because it escaped at the loading dock). The goat, named William the Goat (Billy the Kid...), had just had a knee replacement surgery to study common stress injuries and different treatments. Basically, the goat roamed the city for a little over 2 weeks, evading police (whom had made wanted posters for the station) and university employees. Eventually they caught him, in perfect health - other than a little lighter from the miles of running - and he was euthanized a few months later to complete the study. PETA had raised a stink, trying to convince people to "save" the goat and begging the university to let them find sanctuary for William. My dad, who works animal care at the university, went on to tell me that, not only was that goat humanely taken care of in every way, but that if he ever needed knee surgery, he was going to ask the vet at work (whom had done the surgery for the goats). He figured if the goat could evade police and be seen running throughout 3 different cities, the knee surgery went fine.
Today I was asked what I do with the eggs from my chickens. After making sure of what they meant, I told them "Some go in the incubator, some in the fridge, some sold, and some get scrambled up for the chickens." Their jaw dropped. "So, your chickens lay eggs you can EAT?" Yup. Because they are well cared for and named, unlike some commercial chickens, they must not be able to lay edible eggs, like commercial chickens. Sometimes I feel bad telling people the truth, because they either have a really embarrassing moment or they just go on being ignorant.

I gotta say I kinda agree with them on this one though, I'm sure the goat was really well taken care of, but what's the point of euthanizing a perfectly healthy animal?

But LOL about the eggs... how dumb could one get :gig

Quote:
I'm guessing they euthanized it to complete their study of the knee surgeries. There's some stuff you can't tell unless you do an autopsy. Kind of like that new type of brain injury disease that football players get that makes them different, they can't tell if they had it until after they die. Guessing the same kind of thing.

I'm guessing they euthanized it to complete their study of the knee surgeries. There's some stuff you can't tell unless you do an autopsy. Kind of like that new type of brain injury disease that football players get that makes them different, they can't tell if they had it until after they die. Guessing the same kind of thing.

Ohhh that makes sense. I never thought of them needing to study the knee after. But it still doesn't really seem fair or right and couldnt they have put him under to check that? But maybe its protocol too cause some animals probably get genetically altered or get meds and cant be released but still

Back
Top Bottom