Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Yeah, that' dancy rooster is pretty fantastic. I like the colors too.

My sad/stupid story comes from today at my favorite local chain farm store. They must have just gotten a shipment of fresh chicks. They have bantams. In with these 2-3 day old bantams are two STANDARD chicks that are at least THREE weeks old, if not close to four. One who was showing clear signs of being a cockerel was grabbing the little bantams, picking them up, shaking them a couple times, then slamming them down. Several times I thought he killed one. The poor stunned things just laid there frozen until he walked right on it. Then it would try to get up and stumble away. Yes, I found an employee who luckily said "Ugh, Yeah I don't know why those two are even in there." And immediately moved them.

My sad/stupid story comes from today at my favorite local chain farm store. They must have just gotten a shipment of fresh chicks. They have bantams. In with these 2-3 day old bantams are two STANDARD chicks that are at least THREE weeks old, if not close to four. One who was showing clear signs of being a cockerel was grabbing the little bantams, picking them up, shaking them a couple times, then slamming them down. Several times I thought he killed one. The poor stunned things just laid there frozen until he walked right on it. Then it would try to get up and stumble away. Yes, I found an employee who luckily said "Ugh, Yeah I don't know why those two are even in there." And immediately moved them.
At least there are still some people who listen/have common sense/decency!

Ok, have to share my own childhood "dumb moment": I grew up on a non-working dairy farm. We raised a few cows and always had chickens, and other animals as well... I was an animal lover off gate, so I spent most of my time turning everything into pets. I loved going in the hen house collecting eggs and knew that chickens came from eggs. Well, we had a hen hatch a clutch of eggs and when I saw those little YELLOW fuzz balls, my heart shattered! The yellow in all those eggs I ate... every morning...was a baby chick!!! I outright refused to eat egg yolks for quite a while after that. So, for breakfast every morning I had fried egg whites so I wasn't eating the chicks. Good thing I grew out that mindset before I found out the real reason Ollie the pig was around... I don't think I could have eaten all those egg whites without sausage!

lau.gif

Ok, have to share my own childhood "dumb moment": I grew up on a non-working dairy farm. We raised a few cows and always had chickens, and other animals as well... I was an animal lover off gate, so I spent most of my time turning everything into pets. I loved going in the hen house collecting eggs and knew that chickens came from eggs. Well, we had a hen hatch a clutch of eggs and when I saw those little YELLOW fuzz balls, my heart shattered! The yellow in all those eggs I ate... every morning...was a baby chick!!! I outright refused to eat egg yolks for quite a while after that. So, for breakfast every morning I had fried egg whites so I wasn't eating the chicks. Good thing I grew out that mindset before I found out the real reason Ollie the pig was around... I don't think I could have eaten all those egg whites without sausage!
lau.gif

My younger sister was the softie of the two of us. I loved animals, but I seemed to understand the food side of it. She ended up winning the greased pig contest at the state fair... where the crisco and canola up a piglet an the kid who catches it gets to keep it. Well, you guessed it, my sister caught it. Well, these pigs aren't anything fancy. Just your normal raise them up and eat them pigs. So, that's exactly what my parents did. I will never forget the Saturday morning around the breakfast table having bacon and eggs when my sister suddenly stopped cold and said "Is this Porter?" as the tears welled up in her eyes. Well, it was.

Yes, she had raised it like a pet. It had been made clear to her that he would not be a pet, and that he would be food, but she was always very tender and sensitive. She grew very attached to animals easily even if she knew their pending fate. Luckily she laughs about it today. She's still got that same compassionate heart though.

Back
Top Bottom