Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one! I have one!

LOL, I've been reading this thread forever but never heard anything worthy of being posted... until today.

I was talking with a woman who wants to get chickens for a small backyard flock. A man who I presume was her father, was with her. He pointed out that you can't have roosters in the city. She said of course you can't, they're too noisy, but you don't need them for eggs anyway. The man nodded and said "yeah, they have all that stuff in the feed nowadays to get the seed inside them. In my day we had to use roosters. Now they lay without them. Really good stuff in feed nowadays."

The woman and I stared at each other for a second, then both looked away and quickly changed the subject. I mean, really. In the FEED??? Gracious.

I have one! I have one! LOL, I've been reading this thread forever but never heard anything worthy of being posted... until today. I was talking with a woman who wants to get chickens for a small backyard flock. A man who I presume was her father, was with her. He pointed out that you can't have roosters in the city. She said of course you can't, they're too noisy, but you don't need them for eggs anyway. The man nodded and said "yeah, they have all that stuff in the feed nowadays to get the seed inside them. In my day we had to use roosters. Now they lay without them. Really good stuff in feed nowadays." The woman and I stared at each other for a second, then both looked away and quickly changed the subject. I mean, really. In the FEED??? Gracious.

Wow. Just, wow. How does he think human babies are made I wonder?

I have one! I have one! LOL, I've been reading this thread forever but never heard anything worthy of being posted... until today. I was talking with a woman who wants to get chickens for a small backyard flock. A man who I presume was her father, was with her. He pointed out that you can't have roosters in the city. She said of course you can't, they're too noisy, but you don't need them for eggs anyway. The man nodded and said "yeah, they have all that stuff in the feed nowadays to get the seed inside them. In my day we had to use roosters. Now they lay without them. Really good stuff in feed nowadays." The woman and I stared at each other for a second, then both looked away and quickly changed the subject. I mean, really. In the FEED??? Gracious
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBagawkbagawk

Wow. Just, wow. How does he think human babies are made I wonder?
well, if she's not married she must just eat that special food....you know the kind with the "seed" in it...ROTFLMBO!!! That's great....doesn't say much for the old adage, "wisdom comes with age"....
lau.gif

Last edited:
I thought this was weird. A guy I work with says he raised chickens as a youth through the 4-H program. I was telling him that our chickens haveonly been in their coop for about a week and we aren't expecting eggs until February or so. Then he says, "Now all you have to do to be able to eat the eggs is to get a rooster." What??? I guess he was told all four years he was in 4-H that the rooster made it so there was enough protein in the yolk to make it edible.

Now that's one I haven't heard before. I told him that if that was the case, there are a whole lot of people eating inedible eggs!

I thought this was weird. A guy I work with says he raised chickens as a youth through the 4-H program. I was telling him that our chickens haveonly been in their coop for about a week and we aren't expecting eggs until February or so. Then he says, "Now all you have to do to be able to eat the eggs is to get a rooster." What??? I guess he was told all four years he was in 4-H that the rooster made it so there was enough protein in the yolk to make it edible. 

Now that's one I haven't heard before. I told him that if that was the case, there are a whole lot of people eating inedible eggs!

Oh my. :th. Enough protein? Really? It's not like someone would die from not enough protein in the eggs........

I have a dear friend who I gave a dozen eggs at her work one day. She didn't have a fridge to keep them in over there and it would be a few hours before she could get them home. I handed them over and she was very grateful, but on my way out she stopped me and asked, "These aren't going to hatch before I can refrigerate them are they?" This is quite a common sentiment because when my hens first started laying my DH was adamant about collecting the eggs as soon as they popped out. Come to find out, he thought if they sat in the warm August weather for more than a few hours we would come home to chicks one day...

I have a dear friend who I gave a dozen eggs at her work one day.  She didn't have a fridge to keep them in over there and it would be a few hours before she could get them home. I handed them over and she was very grateful, but on my way out she stopped me and asked, "These aren't going to hatch before I can refrigerate them are they?"  This is quite a common sentiment because when my hens first started laying my DH was adamant about collecting the eggs as soon as they popped out.  Come to find out, he thought if they sat in the warm August weather for more than a few hours we would come home to chicks one day...

LOL! Hmmm, I wonder if my dad thinks that too.......He makes me gather eggs 5 or 6 times a day in the summer. I don't blame him though, since my broodies hatch a lot of chicks in the summer *muhahahahahaha*

LOL! Hmmm, I wonder if my dad thinks that too.......He makes me gather eggs 5 or 6 times a day in the summer. I don't blame him though, since my broodies hatch a lot of chicks in the summer *muhahahahahaha*

Ha so actually that IS half-true in your case :p

Haha yeah, I don't think he even realizes they're on those nests for 21 days. Sometimes they're like, "Wait, that hen is still alive?!? I though a hawk got her last year!" Nope, and now she has chicks too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom