Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I work at a store that donates to food banks and I asked the driver who works for the food bank and asked if they took processed chickens that people do at home. and he told me they by law could not take home butchered meat or home canned food (like you put up from your garden) but they would accept fresh fruit/veggies and eggs.

the ripped up backs you are talking about is an issue with breeders. using to large of a rooster causes it, also you have to keep their nails and spurs trimmed. some feathers missing from the back is normal, it happens when a rooster chooses a "favorite hen". if you add more room to the run it will usually slow down. myself, if I have overly active roosters I move them between pens of hens to give each of the hens a break.
I have one rooster with 10 hens in a 20 by 40-ish run. He has singled out one hen as his favorite even though there's plenty of options. Poor gal has a big bald spot on her back and feathers missing on her neck. I have wondered how long it would take her to grow back her feathers if I got rid of the roo (either dinner because he's on his third strike, or I manage to get separate accomodations for him but i wonder about him staying warm by himself in winter).

CG

Quote:
I work at a store that donates to food banks and I asked the driver who works for the food bank and asked if they took processed chickens that people do at home. and he told me they by law could not take home butchered meat or home canned food (like you put up from your garden) but they would accept fresh fruit/veggies and eggs.

Maybe it's just during deer season, but I've heard of deer meat being donated. Why not chickens? Seems logical to me.

CG

My constant thing before I ever had a rooster.

Friend: Did you use your chickens eggs in this potato salad. (Speaking to my mom).

Mom: Uh, yeah, why?

Friend: Ewww! Then I can't eat it, there was a baby in that egg!

Me: No there wasn't.

Friend: Yeah there was, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten an egg!

Me: I don't even have a rooster.....

so according to their logic...what happend to store eggs? If you don't get an egg without it having a baby in there, then where are all the babies in those eggs? LOL

CG

I understand that rule, just because you don't know how safely they were processed.

what im asking, is why isn't there a place for unwanted "butcherable" livestock. we have been known to burn stockpiles of corn in this country, just to keep the price up. there are already plans where people work for welfare. why have we not made a place to take these animals, finish growing them if needed be, and butcher them. feeds a few hungry people, helps keep the price of corn where they want it, and puts a few people to work. I realize its not a cure for the economy but in my mind its a start. yes it would cost something to do all of this, but I think the cost would be minimal compared to buying a similar sized chicken with food stamps. (the cost of the food stamps + the costs of labor and mailing to make it possible).

ok, this is supposed to be a funny thread. 3 chickens walked into a bar, the 4th one ducked.

Right now the craziest thing I'm being asked is "how do you know the eggs are fresh" I take them from the nest after they are laid every day and bring to market every Saturday. Then I'm told they are "only fresh" if I get them "from the nests the same day I come to market". <facepalm>

the ripped up backs you are talking about is an issue with breeders.  using to large of a rooster causes it, also you have to keep their nails and spurs trimmed.  some feathers missing from the back is normal, it happens when a rooster chooses a "favorite hen". if you add more room to the run it will usually slow down. myself, if I have overly active roosters I move them between pens of hens to give each of the hens a break.

on the other end of that, buying just hens is almost as cruel. have you ever seen the pictures of dumpsters behind hatcheries? that's why we decided to work as breeders instead of becoming a full blown hatchery.  we don't sex our chicks when we sell them, we will breed sex links; but you still get them in a mix of males and females. I don't mean this to start an argument, and I understand people not wanting fertile eggs to eat.

I would like to see a place set up where you can take these extra roosters to be finished off and sent to the food banks. the US government wastes enough money on other things, why not something like this? 

I personally only have hens. For two reason one I am not allowed a rooster. And two my aides are only for eggs as long as can be. That sad I LOVE the sound of a roster! But it's not possible for me at this time. But I think that is a wonderful idea to donate the rooster for feeding the less fortunate! That really gave me a wonderful dea that I will start very soon!

I love reading all the posts! I'm obsessed with this thread! LOL
Well, I don't have a chicken story 'yet' since I only received my first chicks ever last week. But I do have a good one...
I live in the suburbs of Metro Detroit (basically a very urban area). I worked part time at one of the last standing farm bureau's. Well, the city wanted to do a parade and we were asked to participate, so we did a farm kinda thing. I volunteered to be the 'cow' complete with the black and white costume, rubber udders and a mask. I was connected to the wagon with a rope.

So - While we were in the staging area waiting for our turn two policemen came up to me to just chit-chat.
Then the cop #1 pointed to the udders and laughed in an adolescent evil way, and said "You must be a "Boy Cow!" He thought he was so clever.
Then I said to him "You must be a 'City Boy'!"
Cop #2 laughed so hard he had to take a knee, and tears were running down his face.
Cop #1 Just stood there not knowing what just happened. The look on his face was great!
It was priceless!
The best thing was - I had a mask on so he didn't know who I was!!!

ps
When I was 5, I called my brothers best friend (a 12y/o) a 'Red Head" because he was teasing me, and I knew it would hurt his feelings. He cried and went home.
Great part was, everyone heard it - and I have red hair! LOL
My mother still brings this up 40 years later! LOL

Sorry, a little off thread but I figured you'd enjoy it.

This morning we made our first batch of scrambled eggs with our new eggs from our hens (we are newbies).

My mom asked "Are you SURE they are safe to feed the kids?" :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom