Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW was at physical therapy the other day and the therapist (supposedly an educated person) insisted if you didn't have a roo in your flock one of the hens would change sex to meet the shortfall.

I read about that in a book, so I started looking into it. Apparently, there have been cases where in a all hen flock one of the hens has developed roosterlike characteristics, even started crowing and mating the others. It still is a female though, and can't fertilize a hen.

The book that made me curious was one of Martin Gurdon's books, can't remember which one though. But in it, he describes that happening to one of his birds.

I read about that in a book, so I started looking into it. Apparently, there have been cases where in a all hen flock one of the hens has developed roosterlike characteristics, even started crowing and mating the others. It still is a female though, and can't fertilize a hen.

The book that made me curious was one of Martin Gurdon's books, can't remember which one though. But in it, he describes that happening to one of his birds.

Most likely that happens rarely and when the hen has a hormonal problem. Ovary damage from injury or illness is more likely.

Also, if you check the author likely never saw this happen. A lot of the books on poultry are written by people that either have limited experience with chickens are none at all.

Last edited:
Quote: Yeah, it's not something that happens commonly, I'm just saying there have been some occurrences, trying to offer background to how that myth might have started.

The books by Martin Gurdon are actually pretty funny. He's a British journalist who started keeping chickens (and later ducks and doves) in his backyard, and he has written three books about his experiences with them. He approaches the subject willing to laugh at himself, there are loads of funny stories in there. They are not intended to give you information on chickens, but more of a description of the everyday life of someone who keeps them. A good Christmas gift for someone who likes keeping chickens. I've only read them before getting chickens last winter, so I should probably read them again after gaining some experience. The best one of the books was called "Doing Bird" if I remember correctly.

Yeah, it's not something that happens commonly, I'm just saying there have been some occurrences, trying to offer background to how that myth might have started.

The books by Martin Gurdon are actually pretty funny. He's a British journalist who started keeping chickens (and later ducks and doves) in his backyard, and he has written three books about his experiences with them. He approaches the subject willing to laugh at himself, there are loads of funny stories in there. They are not intended to give you information on chickens, but more of a description of the everyday life of someone who keeps them. A good Christmas gift for someone who likes keeping chickens. I've only read them before getting chickens last winter, so I should probably read them again after gaining some experience. The best one of the books was called "Doing Bird" if I remember correctly.
Thanks Felix!

I will look for it. The I visited some elderly in laws this weekend and they could not understand why anyone would want to raise chickens. They have never seen blue or green eggs either.

Sadly, my DW perpetuated the myth that eggs come out with poo on them. I tried to explain that it is a different system from the digestive and that a sphincter kept them two channels separate but I was talked down by the over 70 year old in laws....

Ron, it's available on Amazon.

Shame about your in-laws not getting it, apart from the occasional smudge our eggs are pretty clean. Perhaps you can find someone who appreciates home grown eggs more.

Yeah, it's not something that happens commonly, I'm just saying there have been some occurrences, trying to offer background to how that myth might have started.

Kinda makes me think of the book Enslaved By Ducks by Bob Tarte. I'll have to look for it... Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom