Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey...I was kidding. Didn't you see that part?

Noodlez' has just qualified as putting up a really stupid post. This time I won't be back.
frow.gif

Friend: So how many chickens do you have now?
Me: Including the brooding chicks and the quarantined rooster? 20.
Friend: *stares* Isn't...that.. That's a little obssessive.
Me: It's 20 chickens, not 2000 chickens.
Friend: Sandra... *now looking at me like I need some sort of 12-step program* ...that's really obssesive. 20 chickens...

XD

If she only knew.

Later, looking at my coop...

Her: How many chickens will that coop hold?
Me: Up to 60.
Her: You're not going to get that many, right? *looking extremely concerned*

I am almost positive that the misconception comes from people perpetuating misinformation. Are you familiar with the paper industry? I have worked in the paper industry and my father is about to retire after 30 years at one of the largest paper mills on the west coast. I don't know if things are done differently in the east but I can tell you that brown paper grocery bags are not dyed brown. The flecks that you're referring to are from the composition of the pulp used to make the paper. Depending on the type of wood used and the consistency of the pulp, paper may or may not have the flecks in it. Paper bags and cardboard are the natural color of the wood pulp. In order to dye the paper brown or any other colors it first needs to be bleached white then dyed the intended color. If this was done it would add unnecessary time and cost to the bag making process. Why would the paper company go through all of that to trick the consumer into thinking they're helping the environment?
Just curious: Will bleaching/dying reduce paper strength over the original? Maybe that is why grocery store brown paper bags have gotten so flimsy?

What I can try to explain is the vegan view on eggs. I believe a lot of vegans DO eat eggs from their own hens as they know that it is a 'by-product' and that their hens are kept with welfare in mind.

The definition of a vegan is someone that doesn't consume animal products of any kind. Therefore a vegan that eats eggs is not a vegan at all plain and simple.

I know! My friend was a vegitarian and I told her she should eat the beef at a party.

Friend: Yeah, but I can't.
Me: But Carli, this bull was a Red Angus from our own ranch.  His name was Wart because he had a big wart on his back.  We held him back and kept him in the corral until he was big enough to slaughter.  He did not go to a feed lot.  He was butchered locally.  We all knew him and trust me, Wart burger is the best meat you have ever tasted, truly.
Friend: But still....
Me:  I do respect what you are saying, but, I want you to know that we have followed this animal from birth to death, and that he had a wonderful life.

Next day, we go to McDonalds and she orders a Big Mac.
How is it that these people consider themselves vegetarians or vegan if they eat meat or animal products? Do they not know what the definition of vegetarian/vegan is? A big mac is not a vegetable so your friend is not a vegetarian. A person who eats eggs or consumes any animal products is not a vegan.

Just curious: Will bleaching/dying reduce paper strength over the original?  Maybe that is why grocery store brown paper bags have gotten so flimsy?

No the strength of the bags has nothing to do with the bleaching/dying process. The strength is made to order and as with anything making a better or stronger bag also costs more so the bags being weak is because the store is to cheap to bug a better bag.

How is it that these people consider themselves vegetarians or vegan if they eat meat or animal products? Do they not know what the definition of vegetarian/vegan is? A big mac is not a vegetable so your friend is not a vegetarian. A person who eats eggs or consumes any animal products is not a vegan.

I know a few of these..... it seems they are more vegetarian when they are in a group of folks that don't know them all that well. It's like a public lifestyle intended to garner attention. They remind me of a guy I met in New Mexico that I'd invited over for a BBQ and he turned up his nose and with a *sniff* told me "I only eat Kosher.". Then I saw him two days later at the local Sonic drive in eating a hot dog.

I know a few of these..... it seems they are more vegetarian when they are in a group of folks that don't know them all that well. It's like a public lifestyle intended to garner attention. They remind me of a guy I met in New Mexico that I'd invited over for a BBQ and he turned up his nose and with a *sniff* told me "I only eat Kosher.". Then I saw him two days later at the local Sonic drive in eating a hot dog.

Snobbery at its best! I love it.

I have seen these vegan/vegetarians/ non drinkers in action also. Hypocrisy is alive and well in the human race. Ranks right up there with those that preach the evil lack of morals Americans have, then get caught in a sex scandal .

Me, I do not care what anyone does as long as they leave me alone with my chickens!

Do farm animals bring it back on topic? I jokingly told someone I was going to bring my goat Jameson into Homegoods as my canine companion and they looked at me like I had 3 heads and said "isn't he just gonna go crazy and ram everything and all the people?" .......little does she know I wish
bahahah

I am almost positive that the misconception comes from people perpetuating misinformation. Are you familiar with the paper industry? I have worked in the paper industry and my father is about to retire after 30 years at one of the largest paper mills on the west coast. I don't know if things are done differently in the east but I can tell you that brown paper grocery bags are not dyed brown. The flecks that you're referring to are from the composition of the pulp used to make the paper. Depending on the type of wood used and the consistency of the pulp, paper may or may not have the flecks in it. Paper bags and cardboard are the natural color of the wood pulp. In order to dye the paper brown or any other colors it first needs to be bleached white then dyed the intended color. If this was done it would add unnecessary time and cost to the bag making process. Why would the paper company go through all of that to trick the consumer into thinking they're helping the environment?
Yeah, this thread is depressing as hell - there's as much misinformation being spread by the posters as there is stupid stuff in the stories - a good chunk of the 'stupid' is correct.

It's internet echochamber at it's finest - reinforce whatever you believe, and put down everyone who lives different than you at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom