Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Atlanta GA is not in the North, but we all need to remember the catastrophy caused by snow two winters ago. That snow storm was all that was talked about on the weather channel for DAYS!!!!

I guess the locals didn't believe it would happen! Not listening to the weather channel proved to be utterly CATASTROPHIC in that storm.

Lazy gardner, you brought up some very good points!!

Last edited:
I know Atlanta GA is not in the North, but we all need to remember the catastrophy caused by snow two winters ago. That snow storm was all that was talked about on the weather channel for DAYS!!!!

I guess the locals didn't believe it would happen! Not listening to the weather channel proved to be utterly CATASTROPHIC in that storm.

Lazy gardner, you brought up some very good points!!

I actually felt worse about the people down there in the snow than the ones up north. At least the roads are cleared by state funded companies in the north, I doubt the state of GA even OWNS a snow plow... I can get out of my driveway, that's not that big of a deal, it's when my 4 inch high car starts pushing snow down the road that it's a problem... Oh yeah, and last big snow we had, they plowed all around us, but not our road, we, the neighbors, my bf and me, we SHOVELED the ROAD because the plow never did come through, there was close to 2 feet on the ground....

You are right about the snow plows, very few of them, and they are busy keeping interstates clear. I moved to SC from WV. The first snow we had completely wiped out the "stock piles" of salt and gravel in our county.

Around here when the weather channel says snow, everyone rushes to the store for bread, milk, toilet paper, diapers and dog food!!!!

Snow storms in the north are a given. Yes. But, aside from the hype of the fact that the roads will be messed up for several days, there are other issues: A lot of folks will be missing work because of the storm. Of those folks, the hardest hit will be the ones who can least afford it: the ones who are working at jobs with minimal or non existent benefits. They don't have the option of using a vacation day, because there are no vacation days. Then there's the snow removal. Every time the snow plow comes and clears out a driveway, the home owner needs to dig deep to pay for that. In a storm of this magnitude, I expect that we will need to pay for 3 plowings. You may say... well, use a snow blower... going back to the folks who are hardest hit by a heavy storm, they don't have the luxury of running out to buy a snow blower. They are already living on a sub-standard income. So, of course, there's always a shovel. Those don't cost much money... but a storm that dumps 18 - 24" dumps TONS of snow in the average driveway. And that snow doesn't just sit there, like the pretty little post card picture. It blows, and drifts, and blows and drifts some more. Then the road snow plow comes by and socks in the end of the driveway with heavy packed snow. Now, lets look at electricity: This storm is blowing from all directions, coming in swirls. The tree trunks are plastered from multiple directions. High winds + heavy snow = power outages. We often loose power for 3 days at a time. And have lost it for as long as 13 days in a row. Loss of power in rural areas = NO WATER. But, we're blessed. We have wood heat available. We have a generator. We are young enough that we can do some of our snow removal. There are thousands of folks who have medical conditions that make it impossible for them to do their own snow removal. They can't do the labor that is required on the business end of a shovel. They can't afford a snow blower, and can't afford to pay for a snow plow. They have electric heat... or even oil heat which requires electricity to fire the furnace. They can not afford a generator. They go without water, transportation, and heat during a storm with heavy snow and power loss. So, yes... we can grow a pair. But where is the compassion for our neighbors who will be truly incapacitated by this storm???

I have compassion for them, I pay a ton of taxes for the government to take care of these people you talk of. However, there is an old saying "lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part". Fix your own problem.

Find another job if your job is so bad.

Get an education if you are lacking, there are government loans and grants for nearly everyone.

Make a deal with a neighbor, you do something for him in exchange for them plowing your drive.

If you live in a remote area where electricity is going to go out for 2 weeks during the winter. Find friends or neighbors to live with if you have too. Move if the conditions are too tough where you live. I know I cannot live on this farm for my entire life, it is too remote. Accept the facts.

it irks me when a weather event occurs that is "normal" or can be expected in an area and we declare an "emergency" so we tax dollars on something we really shouldn't be.

If your older, ask your kids to help or move in with them for a while, the vast majority have other contingencies available to them, the few that do not we can take care of.

So I guess I agree with the grow a pair sentiment even though it may seem harsh and I did not say it originally.

You are right about the snow plows, very few of them, and they are busy keeping interstates clear. I moved to SC from WV. The first snow we had completely wiped out the "stock piles" of salt and gravel in our county.

Around here when the weather channel says snow, everyone rushes to the store for bread, milk, toilet paper, diapers and dog food!!!!

Maybe your local governments should stock pile more sand and salt and have a little more equipment for snow removal. We here this year after year, they are not prepared for snow there because it never snows there,,,,If that is the case why do we here about the lack of equipment, sand and salt time and time again?

Maybe your local governments should stock pile more sand and salt and have a little more equipment for snow removal. We here this year after year, they are not prepared for snow there because it never snows there,,,,If that is the case why do we here about the lack of equipment, sand and salt time and time again?
Great sentiments, ralphie! So, maybe you would be compassionate enough to call my local government officials and explain how simple it would be for them to "grow a pair" and be smart enough to stock pile the necessary supplies for the next snow emergency??????

Oh, and while you are at it, maybe you would like to explain to my son in ND, or my daughters in WV, VA, and PA why they should drive to SC to dig me out of the next snow emergency??????

Great sentiments, ralphie! So, maybe you would be compassionate enough to call my local government officials and explain how simple it would be for them to "grow a pair" and be smart enough to stock pile the necessary supplies for the next snow emergency??????

Oh, and while you are at it, maybe you would like to explain to my son in ND, or my daughters in WV, VA, and PA why they should drive to SC to dig me out of the next snow emergency??????

I think you can call them yourself, you know them I do not. You elected them, not me.

If my parents or kids needed 30 bucks to plow out their drive and they did not have it, I would gladly send them the money they need regardless of how far away they are.

The government should be the last resort and not the first.

Last edited:
Oh, but I am capable of parking my car at the end of the driveway and only shoveling the paltry amount of snow that the snow plow throws into my driveway........

What we were TRYING to explain to you is not everyone is capable of preparing for more than a couple of inches of snow, so the weather forecasters are doing their level best to warn everyone as early as possible.

Snow storms in the north are a given.  Yes.  But, aside from the hype of the fact that the roads will be messed up for several days, there are other issues:  A lot of folks will be missing work because of the storm.  Of those folks, the hardest hit will be the ones who can least afford it:  the ones who are working at jobs with minimal or non existent benefits.  They don't have the option of using a vacation day, because there are no vacation days.  Then there's the snow removal.  Every time the snow plow comes and clears out a driveway, the home owner needs to dig deep to pay for that.  In a storm of this magnitude, I expect that we will need to pay for 3 plowings.  You may say... well, use a snow blower... going back to the folks who are hardest hit by a heavy storm, they don't have the luxury of running out to buy a snow blower.  They are already living on a sub-standard income.  So, of course, there's always a shovel.  Those don't cost much money... but a storm that dumps 18 - 24" dumps TONS of snow in the average driveway.  And that snow doesn't just sit there, like the pretty little post card picture.  It blows, and drifts, and blows and drifts some more.  Then the road snow plow comes by and socks in the end of the driveway with heavy packed snow.  Now, lets look at electricity:  This storm is blowing from all directions, coming in swirls.  The tree trunks are plastered from multiple directions.  High winds + heavy snow = power outages.  We often loose power for 3 days at a time.  And have lost it for as long as 13 days in a row.  Loss of power in rural areas = NO WATER.  But, we're blessed.  We have wood heat available.  We have a generator.  We are young enough that we can do some of our snow removal.  There are thousands of folks who have medical conditions that make it impossible for them to do their own snow removal.  They can't do the labor that is required on the business end of a shovel.  They can't afford a snow blower, and can't afford to pay for a snow plow.  They have electric heat... or even oil heat which requires electricity to fire the furnace.  They can not afford a generator.  They go without water, transportation, and heat during a storm with heavy snow and power loss.  So, yes... we can grow a pair.  But where is the compassion for our neighbors who will be truly incapacitated by this storm???

This is true there are a lot of people who can't afford more than a shovel or are unable to do things on their own. Heck, last year, our first year living here up on the mountain, all we had was a shovel. I would spend up to 3 hours shoveling our driveway.
This is the part where more people need to be good neighbors to help those who can't on their own. We're blessed to have amazing neighbors who, after seeing us shoveling by hand, took turns coming to plow out our driveway for us. Thankfully, last summer, we came across a deal for an old gravely tractor with a plow, tiller, and mower deck for $300. Not everyone can get lucky and find a deal like that but if more people would stand up and use their blessings help those that need it, things would be different in this world.
Sorry, rant over.

Oh, but I am capable of parking my car at the end of the driveway and only shoveling the paltry amount of snow that the snow plow throws into my driveway........

What we were TRYING to explain to you is not everyone is capable of preparing for more than a couple of inches of snow, so the weather forecasters are doing their level best to warn everyone as early as possible.

Which is what I said at the tail end of my original post when I said "the vast majority have other contingencies available to them, the few that do not we can take care of."

BTW just how long does the snow stay on the ground in Lauren SC if it is not shoveled? 3 days? How long is it over 8 inches and impassable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom