Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are too funny!
lau.gif

I don't mind answering questions about chickens to people of any age... There is no dumb question. It is when they are blatantly wrong in their statements and declarations that gets me.
For some people ignorance is bliss.
wee.gif

Chickens lay more eggs to country music...I wish...
roll.png

For grandma that won't eat silkie eggs you should show/ (or if you feel a little devilish) have her eat a showgirl or turken egg... see how she feels about that!

You think chickens are filthy cause they step in their poop? Well, your cat scratches in its poop and pee several times a day, and I think it is gross that you feed it on your counter...
Chicken poop stinks... yours doesn't smell any better, you just have the convenience of flushing it and making it someone elses problem.

gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
I raised Bourbon Red turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner last year. I ended up with 2 toms and 2 hens. My wife's family was happy with the birds and appreciated the work that went into growing them, as well as all the other benefits. MY mother, however, wasn't participating in this happy horse s**t. We had the usual conversation as to what everyone was bringing as far as sides and deserts, but when I asked her when she wanted me to bring her the turkey (she always cooks the meats) she explained to me she had purchased the turkey. I reminded her of the birds I had raised just for that holiday season, and she told me she'd never cooked a farm bird before. I said it'd cook exactly like her storebought bird. She said it was different. I said I'd even brined it. She said I was cruel for killing it. I said I'd treated that turkey like a king the entire 6 months it ranged around my place, that I'd fed it and given it fresh water and kept it safe from predators. She said it was a pet. Was not, it was food and everyone knew it. The debate went on and on until I got her to admit the real reason she didn't want to serve it. It wasn't what she was accustomed to, and she was afraid of changing.
I've had egg customers complain about shell shape, thickness, "too strong" "too fresh", fertile, etc. When they mention those I explain these "defects" are what most people like about my eggs, or I say something to poke a little fun at them for being so rediculous. Nicely, of course. And they sometimes accept that and sometimes go back to month old eggs from the supermarket. What I don't hear is "dirty", "unsanitary", "small", "low quality", etc. Those comments would have me scrambling (pun intended) for a fix, and free eggs to my customer to make amends.
I can handle almost all of it, even from my own family, but the one thing that sends me are the "green eggs and ham" jokes! I don't know why it bugs me so bad but it does. After a brazillion times I just tell them the eggs I can help them with, but if they want green ham they're on their own.

My grandmother buys white eggs. She never buys brown. I finally decided to ask her about it one day. This is what she said "The brown eggs have a bloody spot and the white ones never do" Apparently she got one brown egg just once that had a blood spot and decided that the white ones were different. I tried to tell her that any egg can get it but she wouldn't believe me. Oh well whatever floats her boat I guess lol

Some of these stories are way to funny I can't believe how dense some people are.

I have had the same conversation with people at work. Some said they would never eat them. So I made a quiche, brought it to work, and placed it in the breakroom. That quiche was gone in an hour. Everyone raved at how good it was. All I could say was, "really? I thought you would never eat my eggs". Another girl asked me if chickens could lay eggs without a rooster. I asked her if she could ovulate without a man. She doesnt really ask me questions anymore.

OMG! I LOVED that answer
lau.gif

No about chickens, per se but definately in the "dumb things" catagory... I have a friend that I share a garden with. He thought potatoes set fruit like tomatoes, and you picked them. He wasn't new to gardening, mind you. Just potatoes... : )

Not about chickens but the same train of thought. My father grew up on a large dairy operation and they always butchered a steer every year for their meat supply along with a hog or two, one time they had made arrangements to have a family over for dinner after church one Sunday on of the kids said I would love to live on a farm I could eat steak all the time! the kid didn't realize a cow is not 100% steak meat.....
Several years ago I was invited to a barbecue at a cattleman's farm. He raised mostly whiteface and a few Angus. Said, "I hope you don't mind hamburger. We don't get into all those fancy cuts. I just have the butcher grind the whole thing up." After being shocked at grinding tenderloins, t-bones, and steaks into ground beef, I was VERY pleasantly treated to the best hamburgers I've ever eaten in my life.

This thread has me rolling! I've heard the ever-popular "gotta have a rooster to get eggs," but the dumbest thing I've heard yet is that the brown eggs are more nutritious than the white. I didn't even bother asking him why he thought so...*facepalm*

This thread has me rolling! I've heard the ever-popular "gotta have a rooster to get eggs," but the dumbest thing I've heard yet is that the brown eggs are more nutritious than the white. I didn't even bother asking him why he thought so...*facepalm*

Actually I seem to remember reading that this used to be true. It didn't really have anything to do with the egg colour, but how the chickens are treated. Chickens that laid white eggs took to mass farming really well and still laid even in factory farm situations. Chickens that laid brown eggs wouldn't put up with being stuffed into tiny cages and never allowed outside, so you knew that brown eggs came from chickens living a better life, and thus produced a better egg. It's not true anymore but I guess it used to be. Now that I tried looking it up for a source I can't find where I read that though.

Maybe I'm one of those people! :oops:

welcome-byc.gif

In Brittan they think the same thing about green and blue eggs......apparently here some think that green eggs are rotten...

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom