Dumor 20% Starter/Grower Chick Feed

sowellj

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
Is this feed ok for new chicks? I have never had chicks before. How do you know if it is medicated or not because I also need feed for new ducklings? Can you use non-medicated feed with chicks? What is the best for ducklings? Chicks?

I used the Dumors 20% starter/grower not medicated feed and did fine. If you feel you have to give them something to reduce the chance of cocci, you can get stuff to put in their water. I did not. I don't know how that might affect ducks.

Be sure to read the bag to make sure it says chicks and ducks if you are feeding both together. Dumors also makes a starter/grower that is not for chicks.

You can talk to the people where you are buying the feed to ask if it is medicated. The one I used in a yellow bag was not medicated.

Most generally the Dumor feed is not medicated and if it is, it will say so on the bag.

I will tell you though, that I used to use the Dumor when I first got chicks and it really did make my chicks poo smell terrible. I didn't really know any better at the time because it was my first time ever having chicks, but once I switched to the Purina brand I could tell a HUGE difference. Just saying...

smile.png

All I have been using this year has been the Dumor brand. I have had no problems with it, and their poop was normal. I think the 20% is the bag with both the duck and the chick on it, if so you can use it for ducklings. I have been using it for my silkie chicks as it has higher protein than the purina brand.

you can get, from TSC or wherever you buy your feed some medicated powder you put in the water. we did for a bit and slowly, stopped. for no particular reason other than they went through a lot of water so it was probably our laziness.
however at the time all we could get was dumor and they did fine. however they're on layer feed now and TSC has purina now so we're getting that now. i really do think i can tell a difference in the smell of their poo. (i've read from BYC users that the poo sometimes doesn't smell as bad when they aren't using dumor) that's all i can say about it.

Thanks for the replies. It is hard to find duckling feed around here. Most of the places only have medicated chick food. Tractor supply has the non-medicated Durmor. Do the chicks have to have medicated feed?

Back
Top Bottom