Dumor Feed Users?

Quote:
Hi, I just wanted to let you know I was talking to a guy here in Connecticut that went to Cornell for Poultry(I forget the exact PHD he got sorry). He told me to never keep a hen on 20% protein all the time b/c it can ruin their reproductive organs. He said that you should always take them off every three months for a month then go back. No sure about the scientific part of it but, I'm sure their must be research somewhere online if it's true or not. I just follow his direction b/c he is really smart about Breeds, Genetics, and Animal Science in general and owns his own Farm here in CT.

Beth G. :

Quote:
Just an FYI, Dumor is the generic brand for Purina Layena. I was educated by the feed consultant at TSC store in CT claims that the ingredients is the same just cheaper than Purina b/c of the Dumor generic name. I've used both and really do not see a difference. I use the Mash and add Kelp and Wormguard plus.

I'm not an expert but, just figured I'd pass along what TSC told me. Maybe if you have a TSC close by you could pop in and ask them.

Good Luck!!
B:)

I heard that also. That purina is the maker of dumor.​

i started my chicks on medicated Manna Pro for a month.
i used dumor chick starter/grower from 6 to 10 weeks, then grower/finisher from 10 to 18 weeks of age then switched to layer crumble- that was 2 weeks ago. I thought Dumor was tractor supply's house brand only because that's where i buy it.
BTW i have buff and columbian wyandottes, 3 hens and (!)5 roosters- looks like it's slaughtering time. I ordered 10 pullets back in february and thats what i've ended up with.
still waiting on some eggs from the three hens.... unless they've started laying somewhere in the yard. they stay in the coop til about 10am when i let them out.
havent supplemented with oyster shell yet, was wondering if i should and if the layer crumble had enough calcium for them.....

You definitely have to add oyster shells. Soo..... I shouldnt always feed my chickens 20% protein? ughh Im soo confused! Im probably going to mix 20% protein dumor and 16% protein dumor and add a handful of alfalfa, wheat, corn, and maybe flax seed. This should be a good mix or is this too much protein??

Quote:
You know feeding chickens is a really broad thing. Everyone does it alittle different depending on where they live, the breed, and if their egg production is low. I think the best thing for you to check out is a book. When I started years ago I bought this book that was all about raising a backyard flock. It was a really good book. I will have to dig it out and get you the name b/c I haven't seen it in awhile. I've gotten spoiled with my friend Stu who knows everything. Whenever I have a doubt or question I call him instead of pulling out the book. I am still learning new things everyday. One day I think I am doing everything right and the next I'm informed it's no good... If ya know what I mean
wink.png
Using this site is definately a great tool and it's always helpful.

Take Care,
Beth

Thanks Beth! I have a few books about chickens but I will have to check to see if they have anything in there about what to feed them. Some articles just say that they need a certain amount of protein and to add this, this, and this but never say how much or anything. Its so frustrating. I have silkies by the way. Since they dont as often as some other laying breeds, maybe 20% protein isnt all that bad.

Quote:
No problem. I'm actually looking to add them to my flock b/c I hear they are really pretty birds and make good setters. Some day I will probably be PM'g you on what to do with that breed as I will be a Newbie with them. I just find when my girls are not laying or if any of them are laying a weird shell or soft shell I actually give them Yogurt with the oyster shells and corn off the cob mixed in. Within two days the problem is corrected. I also recently added the kelp and noticed it is really helping with the shiny feathers and I think it may be contributing to a smooth harder shell.

just checked 'raising chickens for dummies' with site owner rob ludlow as co-writer (shout out for ya), and they recommend grower ration (16% protein) until 22 weeks, so apparently i started them on layer ration a little early.

Also, they recommend 16-18% protein layer feed for a layer's 'career'.

They recommend oyster shell supplements if you're getting thin-shelled eggs but not forcing minerals on hens that get a complete ration, as too much mineral will cause kidney failure.

these are recommendations from their 'layer flock' section.

i've found the book pretty helpful; MUCH, much more so than the FFA "how to raise chickens" book, by christine heinrichs i bought at TSC
sad.png
definitely don't recommend that book.

Ohh yeah Beth, I LOVE my silkies to death! They go broody often and are beautiful! Okay....Im going check the books I have right now to see if they have anything about what I should feed them. Some of this stuff people are adding in there feed, I didnt even know existed! I dont know half of the ingredients in some recipes. lol

Back
Top Bottom