1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumor Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7961, Sep 14, 2009.

1. 7961

7961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    MI
    FYI: Bummed...I heard this morning from my source(s) that TSC will no longer be carrying the Dumor line of poultry feeds by the end of the yr. I am unaware of the fate of the other Dumor livestock feeds. Alternatively I was told they will carry Purina feeds...what formulas I don't know...Dumor is milled by Purina for TSC.

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Don't care personally for the loss of Dumor, although I have used it. I really wish they would go with another brand besides Purina, that's about all that is sold around here.

3. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Purina put the brakes on milling for other companies as their product sales were down

4. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Yeah! Maybe with TSC selling pellets the other guy will lower his prices. Hey a girl can hope can't she.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Wait what?

I stick with Dumor feed because I went to the other feed store and the ingredients listed on their feed was just a very vague "ground grains" and I am used to picking ingredients carefully for pet foods (dog/cat) so I just won't buy anything for either the pets or us humans if they won't disclose exactly WHAT is in it. I don't know a thing about Purina branded chicken food. I think Dumor is the only brand that they carry at my TSC, so what they heck - they gotta sell SOME kind of chicken food next year!

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    7961 said that Purina makes Dumor... It's likely the same thing, just in a different bag.

7. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

my understanding about Dumore, Purina mills it as a out source, but the ingredients are not the best, when i did feed Dumore, my coop smelled really bad, eggs were not the best, the girls didn't look that good. i switched to Kent and they did better, but now i get feed from a gentlemen that mills it, and my coop doesn't smell any more and the girls productions is great. the girls look great, nice and healthy looking and there feathers are full and shiny

plus Dumore cost more, and your not getting a great product

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Don't worry! Purina is a MUCH better brand of feed. Personally I feed Southern States, but will buy Purina when the feed store is out of the SS.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I guess that I know in my mind that Purina dog food is crapola, so....it's a branding thing I guess. [​IMG]
    Plus, I've only seen Purina layer feed ONE time - my TSC doesn't even sell it.

My gals are laying fine on Dumor, but they range too so it's not like the only thing they eat.

10. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I had major problems with my birds when I used Dumor, poop was bad colored and their poop out put increased the egg laying went down and they scratched in it constantly. I ended up using it for my cat litter and went back to the wonderful feed of Agway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by