dumor vs. layena vs. nutrena rations: Which do you prefer?

FossilRokRanch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Norther Catskill Mtns., NY
Maybe this post should be called "How long is a piece of string?" :LOL:

I have access to all three brands, and used Dumor except for the last 50#s which was Nutrena. The ate the Nutrena fast, but they are 16 weeks old now and growing like weeds, so that may explain things.

Hopefully this will be my last 100#s of grower/developer before laying rations are in order (RSLs), and I'd like to put to bed which feeds ill use.

If you would, post up which feed brand you'd use and why. Hopefully this will give me a warm, fuzzy feeling when I buy feed this week.

TIA,

I raised my chickens on Dumor chick starter, finisher/grower, one bag of Layer. Then switched to Layena because there isn't any magneisium (sp) in the Dumor Layer. This is needed in egg production, maybe not vital, but it helps.

I use Nutrena because it is the only thing carried at the feed store I frequent. I have heard others say that their chickens burn through a bag in no time and that it doesn't 'satisfy' their chickens. I DO supplement my older layers with BOSS, but I have a batch of 15 week olds that look absolutely beautiful. They are doing well, growing well, and look stunning on the starter/grower. I also add ACV to their water.
Sometimes it is nice to not have options, especially when I am horrible at making decisions.
I will be watching to see what others have to say!
caf.gif

I guess im going to use Dumor again. Too many posts of going thru nutrena too fast (but they do like it alot).

FYI@ 33yardbirds - the tag I have for Dumor has manganous oxide in the ingredients, just like Nutrena, so its in there. Might be a regional thing depending on whose making the feed?

I like Layena. I used Dumor for the first couple of years and it seemed like they ate through it really fast and their pen was stinkier. Then TSC switched their layer feed to Purina brand and I like it better.

I started my hatchery chicks on Purina Chick Starter medicated, and then switched to the Layena. After about 3 months into laying, they started feather picking and eating. Then eggs started being eaten. I have been pulling out MY hair trying to figure out how to stop them. Blue lotion, axle grease, giving them additional room, Mineral and Vitamin drenchs, No Pick, Vasoline, Vicks, nothing seemed to work! I read a thread on here about Purina not having the animal protein in it, so I went to a different feed store and bought their brand, which is Moore Feed. Layena only has 16% protein, while this feed, has 20% for their layer. It is half the cost of the Layena, and surprise.... I am seeing some feather regrowth on some of them! There is a possibility the girls now just have a bad habit, and use it now for pecking order. Some have been able to grow. I am thinking that the change in feed has helped. I am going to continue to use it, and monitor. My egg count hasn't been helped any, but then, it's also been very hot here. I haven't noticed as many "grease " spots in there either. But since it began in March, I am finally feeling hopeful !

Thanks again. My gurls have free range of the yard, garden and woods (which they love as leaf litter scratching yield mega amounts of bugs). Until winter, they aren't short for extra protein. Coupled with shrimp waste once a week, they are living the high life.

Hmm, do I throw Blue Seal into the mix of possible feed? That's local as well.

Keep it coming as I haven't got to the stores yet!

I've tried both Purina and Nutrena. I like the latter better.

Now, I'm not using a layer feed any more, but "grower/finisher" and providing crushed oyster shell free choice.

Everybody looks gorgeous, the eggs are nice and hard, and I have nothing to compare to, regards how quickly the chickens "go through" the feed. Is the rapidity considered bad, because the feed doesn't "fill up" the chickens and they keep eating it to get good nutrition, or what?

When I tried the Purina feeds, the feed lasted longer, but I assumed that meant the flock didn't LIKE it. And I had some soft eggs and feather picking.... so I went back to the Nutrena.

I don't feed anything but Purina Flock Raiser. I use it from the egg to the egg. Chickens, quail, guineas, it's all any of them get. I give crushed oyster shell free choice. Saves a whole lot of confusion on when to switch to what and who can and can't eat it.

Back
Top Bottom