Dump dry cement through hardware cloth floor to help discourage rats?

MountainUp1

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2020
Built a coop with hardware cloth floor, which has worked well keeping snakes and those sorts out. But this year is our first we've been overrun by rats. Tried the bucket, and poison (in protected bait stations), both to no avail. They won't go up on bucket, and they aren't eating bait. I even used plastic gloves and dipped peanut butter all over the bait and top of bucket. Will be trying snap traps and 'rat proof' feeders next. Also have my .22 when I get a clear shot.

Question... coop has hardware cloth 'floor' over dirt. The rats have dug tunnels up under it in areas. Would it be effective if I just dumped a half dozen bags of dry cement all over the bottom, and wet it down, would it fill in those cracks into something hard the rats won't bother chewing through?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 10.30.02 AM.png

Last edited:
If I were going this route I would probably take out the hardware cloth, level the floor, and then cover the whole thing in cement. The way you described is going to get messy and ultimately ineffective imo. The cement is going to set unevenly, which will probably lead to cracks the rats will be able to push through anyways. And if the whole floor isn't covered in cement they'll just dig around until they find a way up. Also a chance the hardware cloth gets partly cemented down, which will be a pain in the rear if you ever want to move that. A poorly cemented floor could also end up being pretty rough on your bird's feet.

Rats can chew through concrete. They have to chew to keep their teeth worn down or they will puncture their own skull and die.

Deal with the rodents by controlling the feed. I like to post Howard E's past posts on this issue instead of retyping the advice:

Here is Howard E.'s past post and I reply I did to it long ago:

"To the OP (and others like them), if you will spend the time, everything you need to know about rats and how to get ride of them will be found in the links below......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-the-video-series.1337456/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-101.1283827/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-proof-feeder-review.1180514/#post-18610285

This last one is a review of a rat proof chicken feeder built and sold by a BYC member, who is a staunch advocate for the plan of getting rid of rats by starving them out. Remove all sources of feed and they will be forced to move on or starve to death. If you are firmly against the use of poison bait blocks......for whatever reason.......then this is one of the best actions you can take. Bulk food in metal trash cans.....chicken feed in metal rat proof feeders. Can't get to the feed and birds do not spill and waste feed that the rats can survive on."

End post.

And the short version of Howard's post? Sanitation, exclusion, elimination.

Sanitation, bulk feed in metal cans or barrels with tight fitting lids, a treadle feeder, clean up the avenues of movement so the rodents have no cover to protect them from their natural predators. In my opinion and experience this is the quickest, surest, and cheapest way to solve a rodent problem.

Exclusion, plugging the holes and building a Fort Knox chicken coop and not leaving an opening for free range. Tough to do and expensive but it could work for rats.

Elimination, poison and traps. Problem is that rats are smart and will quickly learn to avoid both traps and poison bait. Were you to clean them out, the lack of sanitation would mean a new population of rodents would move right in. And there is risk and no end to the process, keeping fresh bait out. However, if you have done your sanitation using poison becomes effective as the rats are starving and will likely try the poison bait. Not needed though, they will leave in a few days as long as you are not feeding the rodents with a compost pile or other animal feed. Not all will leave, your area will have a natural carrying capacity for rodents, natural feed, but that natural ability to sustain rodents is quite small and the natural predators keep them in check and under cover as the rodents hustle to find this natural food.

Do a forum search on "rats chickens" and you will find most of the old wives tales exposed and read of long epic battles against the rodents. Sanitation, exclusion, or elimination all have associated costs but you are already paying for the feed and will recover the initial costs quickly with the first method.

Good luck and remember, it isn't just the stolen feed, disease and predators come with rodents.

Back
Top Bottom