Dumped Easter Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smartie_Pants, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Hi guys!

I am doing a pet-peeve presentation for my college Oral Communications class, and I need links to article and pages with facts and figures about dumped easter ducks. Things like:

What percent of cities it is illegal in
    What percent of ducks bought as easter pets are dumped
    Why The ducks shouldn't be dumped
    Why bread is bad for ducks
    ETC

I have read countless articles on this is the past and I kind of know the answers to most of those questions, but we have to have documented sources and I can't seem to find those articles anymore. The sources can't come from this forum though. They have to come from newspapers, webpages about ducks, department of fish and wildlife, etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I could tell you a lot about dumped ducks. There are actually a few great websites out there about this subject. One that mentions how bad bread is

http://www.liveducks.com/bread.html

Another part of the same website about ducks as gifts (specifically Easter ducks)

http://www.liveducks.com/gifts.html

Another one about duck dumping on the same site:

http://www.liveducks.com/easterpets.html

I could find more for you. I remember one, specifically, that had a photo of a 3 day old duckling that was dumped off at a lake and rescued by some teens and brought to a rehabilitation center.

ETA: Here's another one:

http://www.ibrrc.org/pr_04_14_2003.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Thanks for the links! Anything you can point me too is good. I don't know why I can't find any of these when I search on google anymore. I need three sources, so if you have any other websites that would be great!

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I Googled "dumped easter ducklings" and a lot of stuff came up.

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I get a lot of stuff too, but its either from sources I can't use, or it doesn't have any specific facts and numbers, just a general overview. This speech can only be three minutes, so I have to pack a lot of facts into a very short amount of time. I'm looking for quick, hard data and facts. I love the liveducks links though. I found some things in there I can work with.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I know it's illegal in Chicago and our whole county.

7. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Left over Easter Bunnies are quite sad to. That is how I ended up with so many! As well as why Humane Socieities and Bunny Rescues end up with 500+. I honestly though have never heard of dumped Easter Ducks, now I have and that to is pretty sad. No matter how old you get, you never stop learning until the day you die.

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    When I 1st got chickens everyone said now you can sell chicks at Easter. I politely replied no. To many people buy their kids pets for holidays than they are not wanted one the newness wears off.

9. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not so much the newness, but the cuteness. Everyone's a sucker for a baby animal.

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had a lady contact me on Valentines day about 5 pm in the evening. She was wanting a single newly hatched duckling for her boyfriend for Valentines day. I had none- but wouldnt have sold her one anyway. Leaving things to that time of day - it was clearly an impulse not a seriously thought out gift. What would happen to the little one should he survive- and their relationship break up??? She would have had nothing prepared for the little one in the way of food or housing. All baby animals are cute- but people really need to stop and think before buying them. I adopted a no single sales policy a while ago for exactly that kind of reason. Most people that contact me - who havent researched and know what they are getting into when buying a duck- are the ones that only want a single one. I have assisted in taking dumped domestic ducks off a pond for relocation - but out here- its not so much just after easter that it happens - but year round. Mostly pekins that come from a market in the city.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by