dumpster trip

Yep, could be another animal, but probably not if there was actual whimpering and whining. I could see someone not familiar with animals get the sounds of canines mixed up with wildlife, I suppose. But, easy enough for (an adult) to check. The complete deferment to the father by all family members, especially when genuine concerns are brought up, is what is suspect to me. I agree with others, I completely understand the frustration and worry upon reading about a possible and easy to solve situation, but the OP is obviously a minor with unknown resources (such as phones, transportation, etc). The parents are the ones who had a responsibility to look into this situation as well as are the ones responsible for showing their children how to act in a just and compassionate manner. If the OP has accurately described the situation, they completely failed at that.

I will really, really hope it's a rat. Even though that would be sad for the rat to be ground up with the garbage, I guess we can't help that since we can't keep rats out of dumpsters. However, the OP does not think it's a rat, he/she thinks it is a dog. I don't understand, you don't think teenagers should have a sense of responsibility? We ALL have a duty to be kind and prevent animal abuse. The OP is old enough and aware enough to know it's wrong, so he/she is old enough and aware enough to do something about it.

Edit: If for some reason the OP does not have access to a phone, is not allowed to use the phone, or was instructed not to call the police or someone who could help, they could easily post the information here and I'm sure any number of BYC-ers would be more than happy to take care of it.

Last edited:
The OP wasn't the one that went to the dump she/he is getting the information from siblings. Could have very well been a wild animal of some sorts.

It sounds like the dumpster is at a transfer station type place. Honestly if that is the case even calling someone may not have done much if anything. Authorities and workers are not going to wade through a dumpter looking for a domestic animal.

While even as a young child, I personally would have done something about this even if it meant sneaking out, I am also aware that plenty of minors come from mentally or physically abusive or controlled situations, and do not see how making judgmental comments to someone who stated they were very upset about the situation will help at all. The forum rules themselves ask that minors do not give personal information, and stating a location can be just that. Most police and even animal control websites have places for you to notify them of something like this online, and that is what I personally would have done as a minor with controlled resources. That is one of the problems of this thread. There is little information to draw conclusions or pass judgment. Sticking to "this is what you need to do to help" is more useful than placing blame in an unclear situation.

Back
Top Bottom