Dun/chocolate and dun sumatras

Quote:
Some folks do colour pen their seramas, and it is from that breededr that the choc serama's were imported. I've also read that choc orpingtons (or might have been wyandottes, but pretty sure the former) were imported in the last year or two.

Last edited:
Quote:
Some folks do colour pen there seramas, and it is from that breededr that the choc serama's were imported. I've also read that choc orpingtons (or might have been wyandottes, but pretty sure the former) were imported in the last year or two.

That's good to know.
I know from Jerry's birds some do have real chocolate seramas, but what I really ment there was, everyone with a brown bird seems to be calling the chocolate now a days with no breeding testing or anything. And we know seramas are a pain to breed to a true color anyway.

Quote:
Were you able to get pics of the Dun Sumatra and new phoenix Aubrey ?

no Clint,
it has just been too nasty this weekend with all the rain . They are just too messy right now to take pics off. I hope I didnt end up loosing any tail lenght from it all, man it poured for 2 days here
Will get some up as soon as they are looking good. The dun sumatra pullet is all mottled up right now from moltings, she's in the inbetwen bleached old feather, and nice new ones, so will probabley wait til she's done to get some of her.

Quote:
Some folks do colour pen there seramas, and it is from that breededr that the choc serama's were imported. I've also read that choc orpingtons (or might have been wyandottes, but pretty sure the former) were imported in the last year or two.

That's good to know.
I know from Jerry's birds some do have real chocolate seramas, but what I really ment there was, everyone with a brown bird seems to be calling the chocolate now a days with no breeding testing or anything. And we know seramas are a pain to breed to a true color anyway.

The named varieties using hte dun gene are chocolate, khaki and fawn silver duckwing. I use the term chocolate to describe the darker colour from the dun gene as that is the named variety. In a genetics discussion, or to clarify. I will usually state somewhere in my post that I am referencing the Dun gene. When I refer to birds who have the choc gene, I usually call them exactly that. Not only is "choc" an obvious abbreviation for chocolate, it is also the name of the gene.

It's all part of the "genetics folks weren't asked when the varieties were named" issue. The reality is that a chocolate coloured bird created with Dun is very similar in appearance to one created with choc. Quite frankly, I dislike the name "khaki" as that implies a tint of greenish tan, not a taupe tint. Fawn is a better, and more accurate name in my opinion, although it is a single copy of Dun.

Quote:
That's good to know.

The named varieties using hte dun gene are chocolate, khaki and fawn silver duckwing. I use the term chocolate to describe the darker colour from the dun gene as that is the named variety. In a genetics discussion, or to clarify. I will usually state somewhere in my post that I am referencing the Dun gene. When I refer to birds who have the choc gene, I usually call them exactly that. Not only is "choc" an obvious abbreviation for chocolate, it is also the name of the gene.

It's all part of the "genetics folks weren't asked when the varieties were named" issue. The reality is that a chocolate coloured bird created with Dun is very similar in appearance to one created with choc. Quite frankly, I dislike the name "khaki" as that implies a tint of greenish tan, not a taupe tint. Fawn is a better, and more accurate name in my opinion, although it is a single copy of Dun.

I agree, Dun for one copy and Fawn instead of Khaki for two copies does sound better. That Khaki name could also get people confused with the color of Khaki Campbell ducks, who in opinion dont look khaki colored either.

Quote:
Were you able to get pics of the Dun Sumatra and new phoenix Aubrey ?

no Clint,
it has just been too nasty this weekend with all the rain . They are just too messy right now to take pics off. I hope I didnt end up loosing any tail lenght from it all, man it poured for 2 days here
Will get some up as soon as they are looking good. The dun sumatra pullet is all mottled up right now from moltings, she's in the inbetwen bleached old feather, and nice new ones, so will probabley wait til she's done to get some of her.

Oh yeah I forgot about the rain and mucky feathers. It did really pour here, just a light shower to really moist air but it was all day for a day or two.

Ressurecting this thread, as I have a broody hatching Dun Sumatra eggs right now.

The birds my eggs came from were a Dun roo over Blue and Black hens, they produced this chick.

IMAG0371-1.jpg

IMAG0372-1.jpg

Any ideas on it's color- Platinum?

haha
same as the other thread, if the male is a dun and he was bred to black and blue...then he's platinum
black and blue are well, black or blue when hatched
dun is usually a smokey brown grey as a chick
this is neither, so must be platinum based on the lineage used to make him

Back
Top Bottom