dunb laws

minifarmerct

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Well I called the person in charge of zoning in my town today and he first asked me how much land I have I said 4+acres he said you are good for framing on that amount of land. Then I asked about a zoning permit and he said you cannot keep a shed used for housing any animals within 75 ft of your neighbors.
I said my lot is 146feet wide I can't get 75 ft on both borders he said I need to apply for a variance. I have am appointment for tomorrow to try and get around all this BS
wish me luck
Don in Tolland Ct.

It will be interesting to see what happened. Different communities have different laws and requirements. If they are meeting with you to talk variance, it sounds like they are willing to work with you.

With those numbers, I get a 1200 feet deep lot 146 feet wide. Some of those distances from neighbors means neighbor's houses, not property line. If they are anywhere near reasonable, you should be able to work out something. Good luck.

Quote:
75 ft of the property line, or 75 feet of their residence, or 75 ft of their sleeping quarters? I've seen codes written each way. It really is not BS--the intent is to ensure that your animals do not infringe on your neighbor's right to enjoy his property nuisance-free. For a 4+ acre property, that is an awfully narrow lot. I would expect that being granted a variance is pretty good--the reason you need one is because of circumstances you cannot control (shape of your property), not because of a arbitrary desire.

That is true I have to apply for variance the distance is from property line.
It was 260 to apply for the variance had to sent letter to water commishener had to send letters to all neighbors within 100 ft
Have to go to meeting and take a vacation day to do it.
I do understand the peoples rights thing it is just frustrating that is all
Don

man, all of this just to keep some chickens
somad.gif
rant.gif

This is one reason I dont like laws/politics. The neighbors can still complain even if it meets the requirments. But good point on weither its from property line, living space, ect.

I have had 7 chickens since last summer and no one has complained yet. When I went to get a building permit for a new shed
alias chicken coop that is when I found out I was illegal. And yes they are worth it or I wouldn't have bothered spending 2200
on a new coop etc.
Don

Back
Top Bottom