Duramyacin 72-200 liquid - oral/dosage?

CHPJohn

Chirping
Aug 1, 2015
Michigan
I have a hen with a rather deep gouge in her side and some rough breathing. I was recommended teramyacin, but my local TSC doesn't carry it - only liquid duramyacin 72-200. I can not do injections - can the liquid go in her drinking water?? If so, what would be the recommended amount per gallon? I have already treated the wound as best I can but definitely want to eliminate infection. Would definitely appreciate any responses - I want to treat her ASAP!!

Duramycin 72-200 is an injectable drug. You can get oxytetracycline powder to use in the water from most feed stores. It is more used for respiratory infections, and may not help an infected wound, due to bacteria developing resistance to it. Procaine Penicillin G injections from your feed store may help, but if you do not want to do injections, you may need to call your regular local vet for a prescription of a strong antibiotic. Cleaning and flushing a wound with saline or weak betadine, plus using a plain antibiotic ointment may be the only treatment needed. Keep her away from flies, since maggot infestation may cause a serious problem. Do you have a picture?

Back
Top Bottom