Duramyacin or Tylan 50? Input much appreciated!

Leahmig44

Chirping
Jan 15, 2016
So I am new to keeping chickens, and I have 6 currently. 4 laying pullets that JUST started, one 4 month old pullet, and a rooster. Last week I noticed one of them having a raspy sound to her breathing, but I thought it was because she was trying to eat caulk (different story, rinsed out her mouth and she was fine), but today I noticed all of them sounding congested and opening their mouths to breathe. I live in Kentucky where it's cold now, in the 20s, but their coop is well ventilated. Nobody is acting all that odd, in fact the laying hens are all out and about even in the snow. The other two are in the coop, but that's pretty standard for them. They are laying normal eggs ( some have calcium deposits but they are brand new layers). No other symptoms noted.
So my question is, given the time frame here (it's been a while since I first noticed symptoms) and given that they don't seem too bothered at the time, should I dose them with duramyacin or tylan 50? I'm leaning towards the duramyacin both because of the cost and because of the fact that I don't know how I'm going to inject 6 chickens with medication for 5 days, but if its possibly a life or death matter I will do it. This is the first time I've ever dealt with this so I don't really have a gauge for how serious it is. The newest member of the flock was the rooster, but that was 2 months ago and he did not seem sick when I got him.
Is this just a winter thing that I should dose with duramyacin?
Or is this a more threatening thing that I should dose with Tylan 50?

Also, I know you're supposed to stop eating eggs with duramyacin, is the same true with Tylan 50?
How does anyone feel about VetRx Poultry Remedy?

Thanks for any input I am desperate for some guidance because now I'm paranoid I have waited too long.

Chickens can sound raspy from dust in the feed or by getting small particles stuck in the throat. If it doesn't clear in a few hours, then you might be concerned. Some respiratory diseases are viruses that will not respond to antibiotics. Some are mycoplasmas or bacterial that may respond. I tend to be conservative about starting antibiotics unless there is good reason. If you see eye foam, thick nasal drainage, wheezes or rattles, or swelling around an eye or the face, then definitely consider antibiotics. Only treat those with symptoms, and separate them from the others, and keep them warm. Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally as well as in a shot to the breast muscle. It is probably a little better than tetracycline. I would probably use oxytetracycline instead of Duramycin if possible, but I would use Tylan 1 ml for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 5 days, if I was using an antibiotic. Vet RX is a product containing herbal oils such as camphor, rosemary, garlic oil, and pine oil. Some people love it, but it has no antibiotics. Vicks is similar. There are more than 5 common respiratory diseases, and it would be worthwhile to seek testing or to get a necropsy by your state vet if you should lose one. Here is a good link with the common diseases (MG coryza, ILT, infectious bronchitis, and aspergillosis) and symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I wouldn't treat unless you are certain that they need it. The noises could be as simple as the cold dry air. If they do need treatment,well,when i researched duramycin vs tylan i found some people had treated with duramycin and still had sick chickens. That's what made the decision for me,to get tylan. Sure it costed $5 more,but I doubt i'll ever have to buy it again! And you can give it to them orally. 5 days on it,my hens sinus infection was gone! Her eye looked normal again,and she wasn't shying in the coop. Good luck!

Thank you for the response! This has been going on for at least a week now, and it sounds like it's everyone. But the only symptoms I see (or hear, rather) is the congested sound when they breathe (like their nose is stuffed) and some seem to be breathing from their mouths. I don't see any discharge around their eyes or noses, and no swelling of any sort. So would you hold off on giving any antibiotics unless I see other symptoms? Maybe try the VetRx to ease the symptoms?

Looking at the link I am inclined to think it might be MG, though I really don't want to think this is true. Can chickens get regular colds that aren't indicative of anything permanent? I don't want to have to start my flock all over again, but at the same time I don't want them reproducing with this disease :(

For coughs, rasp, breathing gurgle, bubbles in the eye, mucus around the beak which are all signs of a common respiratory cold, try Oxytet-343 1teaspoon per gallon 7 days...

If they are gasping for air with mouth open, watery and swollen eyes = coryza. Gallimycin is the only cure. 2 teaspoons per gallon for 14 days..

It all starts with good genetics.

I don't have personal experience with vet rx,but that would have been my 2nd choice over the duramycin. A week now,I would say you know your flock best. I would say you could start with the vet rx. Seems like this winter has been just horrible for chickens! Oh,and not sure about that product,but I know with the tylan 50,you shouldn't eat the eggs til 3 wks after treatments are done.

Thank you for the response! This has been going on for at least a week now, and it sounds like it's everyone. But the only symptoms I see (or hear, rather) is the congested sound when they breathe (like their nose is stuffed) and some seem to be breathing from their mouths. I don't see any discharge around their eyes or noses, and no swelling of any sort. So would you hold off on giving any antibiotics unless I see other symptoms? Maybe try the VetRx to ease the symptoms?

Looking at the link I am inclined to think it might be MG, though I really don't want to think this is true. Can chickens get regular colds that aren't indicative of anything permanent? I don't want to have to start my flock all over again, but at the same time I don't want them reproducing with this disease :(
I would watch them and make sure that they are in out of drafts, and have adequate overhead ventilation in the coop. I haven't used Vet RX, but I would be inclined not to treat them with antibiotics at this time. It sounds a bit more like infectious bronchitis, which is a virus that can spread quickly within the flock, and more common. It would not respond to antibiotics, but would run it's course over several weeks. Chickens in a flock with IB can remain carriers for 5 monht to a year after recovery. Chickens don't get colds as such, but do get viruses and bacterial diseases. As I said previously, you may want to get a couple tested by your local extension agency or the state vet. Here is a link about infectious bronchitis, and another to contact your state vet:
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
http://www.infectious-bronchitis.com/signs-lesions-ib.asp
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...view_of_infectious_bronchitis_in_poultry.html

Egg withdrawal using Tylan injections is 7 days. For oral Tylan use is 1 day. For tetracyclines, it is 14-21 days.

Last edited:
Why would you inject tylan 50 into a chicken? Your crazy if you do. Tylan 50 is for cattle.

Oxytet 343 as I stated above for what you might think is a common cold.

Vaccines? The best vaccine for any bird is good genetics / strong bloodlines, clean and dry coops with good ventilation.

I drive quite a bit, I see many coops with a 5x5 run out area, where there are twenty chickens in the pen. That doesn't work either. Free Range, if you have limited space, move the coop to drier ground..

@Leahmig44 , Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 are both used to treat birds, though it can cause severe injection site necrosis, so I would probably do like Eggcessive suggested in give Tylan orally if you decide to use it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
For coughs, rasp, breathing gurgle, bubbles in the eye, mucus around the beak which are all signs of a common respiratory cold, try Oxytet-343 1teaspoon per gallon 7 days...

If they are gasping for air with mouth open, watery and swollen eyes = coryza. Gallimycin is the only cure. 2 teaspoons per gallon for 14 days..

It all starts with good genetics.
Welcome to BYC!

One teaspoon is about 3 grams and has 2280 mg, so the dose when using 343 is actually closer to 1/3 teaspoon (0.35 tsp). As always, please check my math.
big_smile.png

Oxytetracycline - 343

102.4 / 135.5 = 0.76 , which means that it's 76% oxytetracycline and 24% filler
760 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 760mg = 2280 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~1/3 slightly rounded teaspoon

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom