Duramycin??

I think you're asking the impossible. You'd have to count grains I should think in order not to grossly exceed the 200mg dosage by putting it in egg yolk. Wouldn't it be easier to separate this bird from the flock and dose her with a small water bottle (mixed fresh daily)? Even that is going to be a bit tough to get accurate...it's like "a pinch" per quart of water. Sheesh, it's never easy, is it?

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right - but it couldn't hurt to ask, right ? lol

unfortunately I don't have an area to keep her separate - (I know I should, but issues happen so few and far between that I just haven't worried about it) and it would be much easier to do it this way - as I prefer not to treat all of them unnecessarily. I don't like to use antibiotics when not needed. I do have another antibiotic ordered and it's on the way - I guess I'll just have to wait and use that when it gets here and just keep the infected site clean until then. But figured - since I have the Duramycin - if I could figure it out and run a course of that to start treament earlier .... instead of waiting a week ...

Eh - always something !

Thanks
smile.png

I think you could use either as MotherJean stated - they are both a broad spectrum antibiotic. I would use which ever I had on hand as long as I had enough for a 10 day course. If that didn't work, then I'd switch to the other for another 10 day course.

Probably didn't help - sorry
sad.png

I found this helpful. I use the Duramyicin

In this case, 6.4 oz equals 181.4 grams and measures 7/8 of a cup. There are 2 TBSP or 6 tsp per 1/8 cup. If there are 42 teaspoons in this 181.4 grams, then there are 4,319 milligrams in each teaspoon of this powder.

Then since you have the different dosages between 400-800 mg, just adjust based on the 4,319mg/tsp. So 1/4tsp will give you 1079.75 mg so an 1/8tsp gives you 539.88 (which is what I use). So 1/8 tsp to a gallon. New solution mixed every 24 hours.

M

Ah, but that's the real issue...1/8 tsp. per gallon...but she only wants to treat a single bird and since that bird can't possibly drink a gallon of water per day, she needs to divide that 1/8 tsp. by at least 4 to make a quart. It'd be all fine and dandy if you could just mix a whole gallon and dispense a quart of that per day, but the directions distinctly recommend mixing fresh solution daily. So here we are again with 1/8 tsp divided by 4 - the reason the best I could suggest was "a pinch" in a quart 'cuz I don't EVEN want to try to figure out how to measure 1/32 tsp.
lol.png

Oh my goodness, I REALLY have been overdosing my girl!! I was putting 1/4 tsp in a cup. Thank goodness she wasn't drinking very much. I am just giving her plain fresh water immediately. Thanks so much for the correct dosage.

Tablespoon per gallon x 5 days max, but the treated water must be the only source of water or they'll avoid it. If its one bird just do tylan 50 via injection 1x a day for 4 days. 1/2cc for bantums, full 1cc for full size birds. Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom