Dust bath questions

SayChicken

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Does the material in a dust bath need to ever be replaced or does it stay functional forever (as long as it stays dry)?
Does it matter if your chickens poop in it? Yes, I will scoop poop out when I see it but it just doesn’t seem right that chickens are bathing in material that they have pooped in.

If the dirt bath is in an area that gets plenty of sunlight, any bacteria and fungus will be controlled and not get out of hand to cause health issues.

If sunlight is not a component, then I suggest strongly that you relocate it to a spot where sun shines on it at least half the day.

My chickens love to dirt bathe in the horse poop compost pit. I don't even think about their poop being added to it as the pit receives all day sun which keeps harmful microbes from shooting out of control. But I do have an extremely arid climate which also helps tremendously.

I have a dust bath set up under their raised coop that does not get direct sunlight, but does stay dry. It's a mix of sand/lime and they use it once in a while. They much prefer to roll around in the gravel driveway or find a patch of dirt. I haven't replaced the one I made them since spring, I never considered it would need to be changed? Hmm.. Love to hear more people's thoughts.

If the dirt bath is in an area that gets plenty of sunlight, any bacteria and fungus will be controlled and not get out of hand to cause health issues.

If sunlight is not a component, then I suggest strongly that you relocate it to a spot where sun shines on it at least half the day.
Dang. No it’s not in direct sunlight. It’s in a covered run that doesn’t get much sunlight. It is permanent so can’t be moved and was specifically placed away from the areas of the run that do get wet when it rains. I guess I’ll have to change it out yearly (I hope that’s enough).

what material should be used for a dust bath area? I had heard sand maybe but what kind of sand? Playground sand? construction sand? beach sand?

Back
Top Bottom