1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust bath ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have a flock of 12, several different breeds, all standard size. I try very hard to let them free range at least 2 hrs every day and about three days a week they get out after 2pm (at least 3.5 hrs now but it used to be up to 7hrs) ... They NEVER stop scratching, chasing bugs, moving, working. They do dust bath in the run and in their pan but never outside in the yard or edge of the woods... Is this normal behavior? They have all the fresh greens, permium birdseed, laying pellets, oyster shell, grit and fresh water they want--so they aren't straving!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds pretty normal to me. Mine seem to dust bathe together in the same spot.

Imp

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They dust bath where its comfortable for them. At present my winter garden isn't in yet and that is their preferred dust bathing spot. I won't be able to let them free range as much once the garden goes back in.

4. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    Quote:Mine always dust bathe in their chicken yard & coop.....never when they're let out.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they only have limited time out they're not going to waste it dustbathing; especially when they can do that while confined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by