Dust bath?

I took a couple of plastic tubs and mix peat moss, DE, sand, wood ash and fine dirt. Usually its mostly peat moss and DE. I'm trying some herbs out, too. I chopped up some Rosemary and put about a cup full in. Whatever you use it seems like the chickens love it. When I clean out the coop I sprinkle the DE in and around especially the nest boxes.

After all I have read about DE and the fact that I have read much more bad experience than good. Also the fact that it seems like a ''snake oil'' touted to cure almost every pest known to man but I was not able to find any scientific studies that showed it was any more efffective than using nothing. Add to that lots of cautions (like use a mask when applying) makes me think it is better left on the shelf for me and my coop.
Here's what I know about DE but please don't quote me as being an expert. DE is fossilized micro algae, basically rock. To us it just looks like a fine powder. Under a microscope it's lots of odd shapes and jagged edges. If ingested it just passes through animals but to an insect or worm it's like swallowing razor blades. The death it causes is physical which makes it ideal for de-worming dogs and critters (and people) if you don't like the idea of feeding your critters poison.

When people say they use wood ash, is that ash form any wood? I've got lots of stuff to burn in the yard and would like to treat my chicks to something new.

I use the ash I clean out of my wood stove. I would recommend avoiding using the ash of things with plastic parts, grease, varnish, paint, pressure treated wood or anything that would make you sick or high when standing next to while burning.

I bought a bag of DE but Im too afraid to offer it, Ive been reading conflicting information...How its bad if humans inhale it- so I was thinking it could also be bad if offered to chicks as well?...

Concerning DE:

Snuff is an even better medium than DE for a chicken to dust bathe in. The 100% Organic all natural Nicotine in a can of snuff will croak a mite quicker than a .38 caliber Smith & Western, but neither do I think that letting your chickens inhale tobacco dust is a good idea.

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/p...-cousin-nicotine-are-good-as-a-pesticide.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, the wood I'm going to burn is parts of trees I've cut back and some roots from bushes and trees I've dug out. So should be OK?

Howdy Folks. I'm new here. I just provided a dust bath in the form of a 16 x 16 box, 6 " tall for my six hens (12 weeks old) and filled it with sand. Presently, they are only interested in eating the sand. At least that what it looks like to me. Is this a problem? Or is it self correcting? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom