dust baths

Lilla

Chirping
Feb 17, 2018
tacoma, wa
hi i have 3 Barrd Rock chicks and they are 10 weeks old. They are my first chicks and i want it to be perfect for them so if you can help that would be great:D
  1. do chicks learn how to dust bath all by themselves or do i teach them
  2. is there any special dirt i need to put out
  3. do they need a box
  4. how often do they bath
if there is anything else i need to know please comment down below
thank you:bun

1. They'll do it instinctively.
2. No, although you can make a dust bath mix if you want out of some combination of peat moss, sand, wood ash... I use straight up peat moss.
3. A box is mainly to make it easier for us humans to contain the bath materials and the amount of digging done. Chickens may or may not agree with your location or choice of said box!
4. They seem to like to do it daily, from what I've seen.

1. They'll do it instinctively.
2. No, although you can make a dust bath mix if you want out of some combination of peat moss, sand, wood ash... I use straight up peat moss.
3. A box is mainly to make it easier for us humans to contain the bath materials and the amount of digging done. Chickens may or may not agree with your location or choice of said box!
4. They seem to like to do it daily, from what I've seen.

I got mine a sandbox. I was going to put all sand in it, but I like the mix you suggested. Thank you.

hi i have 3 Barrd Rock chicks and they are 10 weeks old. They are my first chicks and i want it to be perfect for them so if you can help that would be great:D
  1. do chicks learn how to dust bath all by themselves or do i teach them
  2. is there any special dirt i need to put out
  3. do they need a box
  4. how often do they bath
if there is anything else i need to know please comment down below
thank you:bun
u got cop & run ready for chicken?
they will take care all that if u will let them. they 10 week old they could b outside enjoying sunshine & dirt

In the summer my chickens make their own dust bath. With winters here I gave them a bus tub in the coop. (The kind used to collect dirty dishes at a restaurant)
I use dirt from outside, some peat moss, a little sand and a sprinkle of Sweet PDZ. Pine shavings get thrown in by them.
Little fuzzy butts dust bathing is one of the cutest things ever. Once one chicken finds a good spot they all seem to join in the fun.

Back
Top Bottom