dust etc for only three chicks in dining room?

mac_chooks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
SF Bay Area
Hubs is allergic to most everything, though allergy shots have helped a lot.

I want to brood the chicks inside, only three, and I have a plastic base cage for them already. I wanted to put them in the dining room where we have a wood floor and I already have a light shelf for growing plants (they'll still get a heat lamp).

I have read a lot of the threads here -- people talk about the dust/dander/chick stuff inside. Will this be a problem with only three? I mean, more than I can handle with a daily sweeping and damp mopping? Will it be reasonable to expect I can keep them indoors for two months?

Then they'll go outside into our tiny yard and some sort of coop (yes, probably an eglu
tongue.png
) so allergies won't be a problem going forward. I just so hope we can keep them inside for the start so the kids get involved, you know?

I just got around to cleaning out my spare bedroom with my chicks in it, and I'll tell you, there was this thin, filmy layer of dust over everything! Mind you, I didn't dust the room everyday, but if they're in the dining room....they get so messy so fast (around week 2) that it's really better to keep them outside in the garage. You can bring the chicks inside the house and pet them, carry them around, email with them, but leave the litter outside.

I'm allergic to everything too; but I was OK with the chickens. I slept with them for a few weeks.
big_smile.png
It's just really messy to have them inside. Especially with shavings, or sawdust, or shredded paper...

My DH is also is allergic to everything, sometime I even think he is allergic to me
big_smile.png

I have four chicks currently living in my laundry room sink in the garage. I still every day vac, and wash the family room floor because of all the pine shaving that are being tracked into the house.

I can not tell you about the dander as I have an African Grey Parrot that lives inside and he has ALOT of dander, but I vaccum every day around him as well.

If you want to house them inside I think if you clean around them daily your Husband should be fine, also make sure the pine shavings you buy are dust free. I pick mine up at our local Feed Store the brand is called Thoroughbed It is similar to the small dust free bags you can buy at the pet stores but you get 10.5 cubic feet of bedding for $8.00. One bag last FOREVER!!

Ok, let me chime in here. Your hubby may have a problem. Those chicks let off a LOT of dust and feather flake things when they first start feathering in. In fact, they are MUCH better when they are full grown chickens, than when they are little.
I was pretty meticulous, we had our three in the kitchen, and my sis still had a bit of a problem. We were also allergic to the pine shavings, of all things. So I did use newspaper, I know its not good to do that (can cause spraddle feet), but at that time I didnt know better, I was a newbie. Also mine started shredding the newspaper almost as soon as I put it in, so I guess maybe thats why there was no problem.
But, everywhere they went in the kitchen, even if I only let them out for an hour, there would be a little pile of chick dander from where they had preened...and preened...AND preened. There was clouds of dust in their box. So if they flapped, it went flying. I also was mopping every day, cuz of the chick poo. Whew, I cant believe how much work it was, but I had a LOT of fun with them as well, and it was worth it. Dont let me discourage you, I wouldnt trade them for anything.
smile.png
I love them dearly and they follow me like puppies still and they are about 24 weeks now and just now both laying regulary. I lost one, broke my heart, but sometimes that happens.
Just my two cents worth.
smile.png

Jill

Now that you know about the mess they will make...go ahead & try it.
Make sure you have a back-up plan that you can go to instantly in case DH can't handle the dust & dander.

Good luck with your chicks.

Jean

My DH is also allergic to everything. I used the spare bedroom for mine and the dust was bad. I had it all clean before i got the 4 silkies and they are so cute i thought it was not possible for them to make a mess too. But they did. If DH stood in the door to look at them, he started having problems. My advice is to put them where there is a door to keep closed to keep DH happy and healthy.

If there's any other possible place, I suggest you use it. It's amazing how much dust and dander these little guys kick up. Kicking up their shavings makes a lot of dust, they start to lose their baby fuzz after about a week and you have fuzz and feathers everywhere, and even poop (I don't know how they manage that). "Only" three chicks will seem like three dozen. If you know he has allergies, give the guy a break and find a place outside (a porch?) or use a second bathroom or closet where the door can be closed and the mess contained. Good luck!

Also, think about moving them outside sooner than 8 weeks. I was surprised just how well they can handle cooler temps once they have their feathers. I bet four weeks would be plenty. Then you will cut the indoor dander problem in half, and they will love living in their eglu.
Good luck!
God bless,
Cindy T.
Parker, TX

If there was any one thing I wish someone had told me before I ordered chicks, it would be just HOW MUCH dust they make.

Mine were in a huge room (and granted I had a lot more than 3 ... had 26) but that room, everything in it, AND everything in an adjacent room with the door open got coated ... sometimes THICKLY. I am *still* cleaning. (Although stupid me, I put them in a room with a lot of books, craft items, etc. and next to a storage pantry. I WISH I had known!)

You know what might work, if you have the option? I kept my "hospital cage" in the living room. It was an aquarium. If you keep them in glass, with all sides enclosed, you can really see them well, and they can see you, and you can almost eliminate the dust. Not sure how long you could use it ... depends on the size of aquarium, but I used a 10-gallon for over a week and had 1 - 5 chicks in it at any given time (usually 3).

Good luck whatever you decide!

trish

Wow thanks everyone! I'll still plan to use the dining room but I'll clear space just in case in the laundry room (which seems silly what with all the clean clothes and all but they are in a machine...).

It makes sense with all the feathers coming in that they generate a lot of dander. We'll see how it goes. The kids are getting excited! I've been dropping hints for a week now. Of course, I wasn't planning on getting the chicks until February!

Back
Top Bottom