dustbath heaven

sharol

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Admire, KS
My Delaware girls (I hope, one of them has really big legs and feet in comparison to my other chicks) discovered the true uses for a dust bath today. They are 11-12 days old.

60454_7-24dustbath.jpg

I've had it in place for several days, but today I changed out the dirt and I left some of the bigger bits in this time. They are FILTHY, happy chicks right now. Between the dust bath and little green garden, they are really content.

My plan is to finish securing the Hen Hoop and put them out during the day in the run starting the end of next week (when they are approaching 3 weeks old). They love the grass, and it has been nasty hot here if you are in the sun. If I put their run/coop where it will be in the shade, I think the temperature will be OK, but I'll have to watch out for them. That will also give me some idea how hot the coop part will get during the day and how hard it will be to cool it down for the nights.

I admit it -- they are spoiled rotten.

Quote:

Some people refer to me as spoiled rotten because I have a wonderful husband. He says "She is not spoiled, she is well taken care of"!!!! So you see, your babies are really just well taken care of
love.gif

Last edited:
NC29Mom: potting soil (the one without additives, just topsoil), sand, a small amount of ashes from the fireplace, and a little DE. I sifted it for them the first time (through a collander), but this time I just put it in a plastic bag and shook it up. They liked the bigger pieces to play with.

Back
Top Bottom