Dusting "hut"?

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
I have a quad in a wire cage. The haven't been outdoors so they will have to be inside birds until Spring. The problem is their dust bathing. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Funny to watch. No fun to clean up after. If I build some kind of covered box...like an itty bitty covered cat litter box, will they go in it?? Will the sides have to be clear or will they figure it out?

They'd figure it out, they are pretty curious.
smile.png

Ok...I think next time I am at the store I will find a plastic container with a lid. I can cut an entry in to the side. If I find something the right size, I can also use it to increase their floor space if I build a little ramp so they can climb on top. Other things I need...

Feed containers that hang OUTSIDE the cage and fit in the small cage doors. I used to have those for my cockatiels. I swear they pooped in EVERY SINGLE FEED CUP last night.

look at some of the videos Monarc posted in that sticky post of hers--she has some milk jugs in her cages that could work for a dusting enclosure--I'm also thinking of going the milk jug route to provide some safe spots inside the run for my birds (after too many problems with hawks).

If your not feeling handy, or just like a reason to go to pet store, they sell dust bathing boxes for chinchillas(sp?) that I think would work pretty well for quail...a little big maybe, but would work all the same.

I found a small clear plastic "critter carrier" at Walmart for $5.88 It was about the same size as the container they already had but this was enclosed. I cut a hole in the size with a hot knife, cleaned it up and put it in the cage with some sand inside.

Within 2 seconds, one of the quail was inside and kicking all the sand out of the entry hole
tongue.png

After the level was down a little it was fine. There was a line but they all finally got a turn. They had a blast playing in the dusting hut. Of course, they would wait until they were done dusting and came out to shake off! They tired themselves out and are now chilling.

I still had a mess but it was less of a mess than I had yesterday. I may get the next size up on the carrier to see if that makes a difference. I will make the entry hole SMALLER and a hole, not a square. That may cut down further on the mess...I hope
tongue.png

(Just got another egg so it looks like they are happy with things so far
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
THANK YOU for suggesting the chinchilla dusting hut!

The critter carrier was working OK, but it was small and they were still kicking a LOT of sand out of the entrance. While I was at Petsmart today I checked out the chinchilla supplies and it was just the right size! It was a little more than I wanted to pay ($17), but it turned out to be totally worth it.

3 of the quail are having a party in the hut right now
gig.gif

OMG these things CRACK ME UP!!

Back
Top Bottom