Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I've been looking for Dutch Hookbills for awhile; I'm fascinated with anything odd or unusual in the poultry world, and the hookbills certainly fit the bill. However, they are critically endangered, according to The Livestock Conservancy, and that makes them very hard to find.

Finally I got lucky and found someone who has a flock and who would sell me eggs. So, 23 eggs arrived to my house. Upon unpacking, unfortunately the post office had managed to crack four of them, leaving 19 intact.

So, 19 eggs went into my incubator. 13 days later, 16 of those eggs are developing!

Hopefully in 15 days, they will start hatching. Fingers crossed!

IMG_20210409_054314797_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I've been looking for Dutch Hookbills for awhile; I'm fascinated with anything odd or unusual in the poultry world, and the hookbills certainly fit the bill. However, they are critically endangered, according to The Livestock Conservancy, and that makes them very hard to find.

Finally I got lucky and found someone who has a flock and who would sell me eggs. So, 23 eggs arrived to my house. Upon unpacking, unfortunately the post office had managed to crack four of them, leaving 19 intact.

So, 19 eggs went into my incubator. 13 days later, 16 of those eggs are developing!

View attachment 2606556
Wow! I’m jealous lol. Would love to have Hookbills one day.

View attachment 2606556
So exciting! I’ll definitely be following along! Hookbills are so unique, it’s great that people are making an effort to raise the numbers. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom