Dyeing the chicks

Quote:
I am very concerned about killing the chicks. I have some encouragement though knowing other people have done it successfully. I have 23 eggs in the bator right now. I think we are only going to inject 6 or so. Will post pics if all goes well.

When you candle the eggs, make a mark on the egg where to insert the needle, this way you know where to insert the needle and can avoid hitting a vein. Probably easier to do it on day 11 rather than day 14.

Quote:
I am very concerned about killing the chicks. I have some encouragement though knowing other people have done it successfully. I have 23 eggs in the bator right now. I think we are only going to inject 6 or so. Will post pics if all goes well.

When you candle the eggs, make a mark on the egg where to insert the needle, this way you know where to insert the needle and can avoid hitting a vein. Probably easier to do it on day 11 rather than day 14.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I was going to inject at day 11 but didn't think about putting a dot on the spot. Can I use a regular #2 lead pencil or do I need to use something special to write on the eggs?

Quote:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I was going to inject at day 11 but didn't think about putting a dot on the spot. Can I use a regular #2 lead pencil or do I need to use something special to write on the eggs?

Thats what I used a regular #2 pencil. Both eggs I dyed hatched out fine.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
Illegal to sell the dyed chicks, not illegal to dye them for personal use. Many breeders will do this so at hatch, they can tell which chicks/duckling came from which line.

Some states it is illegal to dye any livestock or pet for any reason. People have been charged for using coolaid to dye there dogs for football season. So read your local laws.

so when putting the dye in do you stick the needle in through the shell then in side the thin membrane inside where the chick is or in between the shell and the membrane in the sack thanks

Last edited:
Some states it is illegal to dye any livestock or pet for any reason. People have been charged for using coolaid to dye there dogs for football season. So read your local laws.

Yea well I guess that works for people who subscribe to the idea they have to do every thing there government tells them too. Im no sheeple but whatever works for ya.​

Last edited:
Quote:
You put the needle in the shell right under the membrane, so the dye is going to be touching the chick.
I still haven't been able to locate a vegetable based food dye so it looks like I will have to use the normal food coloring and hope it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom