Dying chicken won’t make it through the night

Can you give her some water with an eye dropper and see if she takes it? May have to hold her in such a way to help her tilt her head/get it down her throat. Personally I would try to give her water and put her somewhere inside in a crate on a warm towel through the night. Sorry you have to deal with this :(

No I haven’t given anything to her she seemed some what okay till today. I’m unsure on poop they free range and have hay in area I kept here so couldn’t see her poop.
We have had chickens for 5 years now and have only lost one. I’m unsure on what to do for them that’s why I came here I’m going to be sure to do research for the future so maybe I can do more next time

Can you give her some water with an eye dropper and see if she takes it? May have to hold her in such a way to help her tilt her head/get it down her throat. Personally I would try to give her water and put her somewhere inside in a crate on a warm towel through the night. Sorry you have to deal with this :(
It’s okay I feel that it’s my fault for not getting on here sooner to see if there was something to do I’ve had chickens get sick one or twice before where they tuck head down like she was doing but they got better on there own in couple days and I was hoping that was going to be same thing

Sorry about your hen. She may be dying of a reproductive disorder, but cancer and crop problems can also be common. I would put her down since she looks to be suffering. I use a sharp knife to cut the jugular veins on each side of the neck, but many use the broomstick method of cervical dislocation to put a chicken down.

When one acts like yours, it is good to separate them at first and give them Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes, and encourage food and water. A watery mash of chicken feed, some cooked egg, and water can be held up to the beak to keep them nourished. When the others start pecking them, that is usually when it is time to put them down. It is never easy, but something we all eventually have to deal with when they become ill.

No I haven’t given anything to her she seemed some what okay till today. I’m unsure on poop they free range and have hay in area I kept here so couldn’t see her poop.
We have had chickens for 5 years now and have only lost one. I’m unsure on what to do for them that’s why I came here I’m going to be sure to do research for the future so maybe I can do more next time
Feeding medicated chick started feed to them as chicks has worked great for me it has prevented coccidiosis and it doesn’t affect the eggs in the future, people have different opinions but, hey... here are my two cents.

I sadly put her to rest... if she had some disease what should I look for in the other chickens?
I haven’t done it myself but you can have her body shipped off to find the cause of death. I don’t think it is supposed to be very expensive. Someone else might have the details on how to do it. So sorry for you loss.

I have two ducks that live with the chickens we have 9 chickens. The one duck I noticed is missing feathers started the other day didn’t see any bugs in her so figured it’s just cause time of year but should I be worried about it?

Back
Top Bottom