Dying chicken

country lucy

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2015
I have noticed one of my Black Austolops has lost some weight, not eating or drinking a lot, so the rooster is attacking her. I have removed her from the flick but it doesn’t give her much room. Any ideals would be helpful.

The first thought that comes to me is worms? Have you allowed free range as slugs earthworms etc can carry the parasites. Isolate an treat with some de in her food.

She most likely has worms or coccidiosis. Have you treated her for either? You might be able to save her, but you will have to act quickly. I have never used Safeguard for goats in deworming chickens, but that would be the quickest thing for you to use at this point because you need to try to do it today. I suggest you PM Kathy (Casportpony) on here, and ask her how to use the goat safeguard gel. You can go to the members section to find her info Or just research the dose, but there's lots of threads and asking her is the quickest way. You can get Safeguard goat dewormer at most feed stores. After you deworm her, you need to deworm the whole flock I like to use Levasol (Levamisole) because it is one of the older dewormers on the market, safe to use and very effective against most types of common worms, but I buy that on line, and you don't have enough time to buy any dewormers on line if you want to save your hen. If and when your hen recovers, to be safe, If she were mine I would deworm her (and all of them) again in ten days, and then a week or so later give them a round of preventative Corid (Amrolium), (for cocci) also available at feed stores. OR better still, take a fecal sample to your vet tomorrow and ask them to do a fecal float, then you'll know what you are dealing with. It's important for you to act quickly. Keep her separate, quiet, and warm. If she is in a place where she can hear and see her friends, that is best. She doesn't have to have a lot of room when she's sick. Good luck.

PS: DON'T try to use natural dewormers at this point, because they are just not powerful enough to help her when she is this sick. You need a commercial dewormer...especially if she has Capillary worms. Whatever dewormer you use, HAS to be a broad spectrum dewormer.

Isolate her so you can monitor and try to figure out what is going on, and to prevent injury by other birds. If you can get a fecal float test done by a vet that would rule in or out internal parasites and would be the best option for that rather than guessing. Internal parasites are a common cause of weight loss in an otherwise healthy bird. Monitor her eating and drinking, is it normal? Are droppings normal? Is her crop working properly, should be full in the evening before roosting, empty in the morning. If it's very hard, doughy, or large and soft/squishy she may have a crop or digestive issue. How old is the bird and was she laying prior to getting ill? Feel her abdomen below her vent, between the legs and see if if feels normal or if it feels swollen and maybe water balloon like. You can compare with other birds if not sure. Also check her over well for any signs of lice or mites.

Isolate her so you can monitor and try to figure out what is going on, and to prevent injury by other birds. If you can get a fecal float test done by a vet that would rule in or out internal parasites and would be the best option for that rather than guessing. Internal parasites are a common cause of weight loss in an otherwise healthy bird. Monitor her eating and drinking, is it normal? Are droppings normal? Is her crop working properly, should be full in the evening before roosting, empty in the morning. If it's very hard, doughy, or large and soft/squishy she may have a crop or digestive issue. How old is the bird and was she laying prior to getting ill? Feel her abdomen below her vent, between the legs and see if if feels normal or if it feels swollen and maybe water balloon like. You can compare with other birds if not sure. Also check her over well for any signs of lice or mites.

:goodpost: X2

Having a wire dog crate that will hold a hen and food/water bowls can be a good way to separate them and leave them with their flock. Use puppy pads or old towels for bedding, and a small roost close to the bottom can be good for them to roost. I would give a thorough check as coach said so well, and watch her droppings. The dog crate would be a good way to collect some fresh droppings to place in a baggy. Check with your regular vet first to make sure they will do a fecal float as a favor, since many vets do not see chickens or they won't do fecal floats unless they see the patient. If you cannot find a vet, here is a fecal test that you can buy to mail in for help: https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rabbits-Turtles-Collect-Sample/dp/B000J5SOZ4

Back
Top Bottom