Dying cornish

Gerty0630

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
SE, Michigan
This is my first batch of meat birds ever this year. I have cornish as well as rangers. They are 7 weeks old. 5 hours ago I was outside, everyone was moving around and well. Mostly in the shade as it was 83 degrees out today. I just went to shut them in for the night and one was very obviously dying. It’s legs were sprawled out, head hung down, eyes shut, and breathing very heavy. I’ve read congestive heart failure is a thing w Cornish. Is that likely whats going on with this one??

Sadly, that happens with Cornish x. They are bred to live in industrial poultry houses rather than backyards or chicken tractors.

Try limiting their feed. Don’t let them have anything overnight or early morning until you go out and fill their feeders.

If the Rangers are running together with the Cornish x (walking slowly not running haha), I don’t think there is any harm with no feed overnight and early am for either. The Rangers will grow a little more slowly but no harm. You will be processing the Cornish x before the Rangers anyway.

Last edited:
I feed them even less than that -- twice a day, all then can eat in 20 minutes.

They also run really, really hot. Do you have deep shade available? You can try dampening the ground under the shade, so they have cool dirt to lay in.

If they are getting "of size" I might also think about butchering the CX within the next few days, depending on the forecast.

I feed them even less than that -- twice a day, all then can eat in 20 minutes.

They also run really, really hot. Do you have deep shade available? You can try dampening the ground under the shade, so they have cool dirt to lay in.

If they are getting "of size" I might also think about butchering the CX within the next few days, depending on the forecast.
Yes they have plenty of shade available and lay in the shade all day long! They are scheduled to go into the processor in 3 days!

Back
Top Bottom