Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Pics
Hi!

Apache is better again today!!!

He has more strenght, and more weight on him... and is redder - totally healthy looking...!!
He also poops more - that is important, since it is clearly a sign he eat more, and is feeling better...

Also : his poop, amazingly, does not even smell like death anymore!! (Smell bad, but not "death-bad"...)

I got him out of his RUN in the morning... but not long, because I need to keep him isolated from the other chickens to allow him to eat his food without it being stolen by his friends...

But he was out, and NONE of the chickens assaulted him! Not even Rocky - my other rooster...!!
So : the chickens also clearly feel Apache is healing...

I'm so happy...!!

I even just put in his bowl (containing wet dog food, Multivitamin Juice, cooked eggs, and yolks) some of Premium Mix for Poultry... and he is eating!
(Premium Mix for Poultry is actually his favorite, but I had stopped feeding him it since I thought it was better for him to eat wet pet food in priority...
But now, since he is feeling better, and I AM looking after him so I can be assured he stays hydrated... I think that's time I also gave him some real "chikens' food" again...)

Left like that, I think I will SOON be able to start physical rehabilitation for Apache...!!!

After what, when he has MORE strenght than now - of course -, I will bath him...
(I am waiting for now, since I don't want to overwhelm him by "putting" too much on him, and so stress him unnecessarily...)

...Thanks God!

(Also, I just send a message to the man I promised to give Apache to...
I told him I am keeping him for now : since he is feeling better, I'm very afraid moving Apache in a new home would actually make him worse again...
Indeed : I clearly need to be the one treating him, since MY method works for now...
...So I prefer to keep him - even if my garden is not flat enough for such a disabled rooster, or if the entrance of his coop is not big enough for him to get inside of his coop without assistance... because whatever : I am here for my lovely rooster, so I will keep helping him personally, and try to ease his life as much as possible...!
And I will HEAL him!)
That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you! :hugs

This is Wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you and Apache!!! 😍 ❤️❤️

Thank you!!

I did not even give a painkiller to Apache, today...

Maybe he could have been feeling better yet if I did give him one, but I felt I had to stop for today at least - so I could see how he is doing without medication...

I'm happy I did so, because I can now be certain his progress come from him, and from the treatment of course, certainly... but not from the painkiller...!

That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you! :hugs

Thank you!!!

I'm happy for Apache.
He is really wonderful, and much too young to die...!

...It will rain tomorrow, so I don't know if he will be/feel better than today...
But normally, the next days should be sunny, or at least without a drop of rain... so I think I could then (try to) begin physical rehabilitation... (But really just for A BIT, for now : I don't want to worsen his condition by forcing him to use too much of his strenght, too early!)

Hi!

So, yesterday... Apache was a bit better, since he could crawl more than the previous day...

But when I got him out of his run, I had to put him inside quickly, since my other rooster decided to attack him (again)...

(Not much to say...)

...Today, I had got Apache out of his run for the whole afternoon.
(Before getting him out, I separated my garden in two parts; so I had the chickens on one side, and Apache and the ducks on the other side.)

I wanted him to have more sunlight, since sunlight is very much good for health...

Here a picture from early afternoon :

DSC09454.JPG

He looks bad, but he is actually stronger...
He can crawl AND arch his back more and more, and it's clearly a great victory!

...Not long after taking this picture, I showered Apache in my bathroom.

Not entirely : just his lower body and his chest! Because I did not want to overwhelm him...

He was so dirty... and the smell was so foul... but now, he is cleaner at least!

I noticed he had some black crusts on his butt, just around his anus... but I am not worried about that : I applied (Fine) Cade Oil serum on these crusts today... and in the next days, I will just put Cade Oil directly on them.
Will do the work - perfectly at that...!

...For now, Apache is sleeping in his coop.
And since he moves better and has more strenght, he can now sleep more confortably at night!

(Wheather was warmer today. I think it helped Apache to feel better!)

But when I got him out of his run, I had to put him inside quickly, since my other rooster decided to attack him (again)...
Im afraid your other rooster will do this as long as Apache is week and possibly for ever because he doesn’t tolerate another rooster since he is the lord and the master of the flock.

Thanks for the good news on Apaches recovery ❤️‍🩹

Hello!

Apache is fighting so bravely I'm seriously so amazed...!!!

Here is a picture from just now :

DSC09458.JPG

Apache is cleaner than yesterday, since I did shower him then... and he clearly feel better in his body - with no foul smell or nothing...

For now, he is on his THIRD bowl of wet dog food...!!!
(He told me he prefered wet dog food to wet cat food... and who am I to refuse him?)

First bowl had his Multivitamin Juice in... not his second and third, but he does NOT need vitamins anymore for the day...

Since Apache is on his third bowl already for today, it means a thing very important : indeed, it means he eats MORE than previously, and so... he has more appetite!
And an animal that EATS is an animal that LIVES!
That's proof he is healing, and recovering, and surviving...

Apache is so going to live...!!
I'm so proud of him... He is impressive. He deserves a (gold) medal!

...Boy is not even on painkillers anymore (he also did not have any yesterday), and what would you know...? He is not even whining anymore...!!
He does not even look like he suffers...

He is a fighter.

Again for today, I did get him out of his run.
He is separated from the other chickens, again - so he can feel secure and serene, and not be bothered by his friends.

I also took the opportunity to clean his butt with vinegar, then put Cade Oil on his black crust (around his anus).
At least, it's done!
Cade Oil will completely dry the crusts, so I will be able to remove them without hurting Apache.
There are no risks, and there will be 100% success. Thus : now, we really don't need to worry about a worsening, or something...

...He is crawling more and more again today, and just now, he tried to walk standing!
And he almost succeeded!!!

I'm so happy for Apache...!!

Im afraid your other rooster will do this as long as Apache is week and possibly for ever because he doesn’t tolerate another rooster since he is the lord and the master of the flock.

If Apache recovers totally, I am actually not worried for him : I brought him home with Rocky - the other rooster -, and they are not brothers, but... they usually behaves like they are!

I think there will be no problem between them.
Both are gentle roosters, and even had no problem when I brought a third rooster home...
And when Apache was healthy, Rocky and he were ALWAYS together. Even when they slept : they always chose to be in the same coop...

So, I am confident they could be friends again...
I hope so!

(But we will see - and be sure - when Apache is better!!)

Last edited:
Hi!

So... yesterday :
- Apache actually did eat not three, but FOUR bowls of wet dog food;
- Apache has been able to scratch the ground with his beak for the first time since... I-don't-know-how-long.

In the night : he has moved in his coop several times, since I had to remove poop from several spots this morning...
...The fact he was ABLE to do so is seriously amazing!

Today... :
- Apache has already eaten two bowls of wet dog food (with his Vitamins, of course)... and he is eating his third bowl of food, but not of wet dog food : I did give him his favorite - Premium Mix for Poultry - mixed with some Oystershell Grit... and I just put in wet cat food now, so I know he stays hydrated... (I have NOT see him drinking in his waterer, so just in case...);
- Apache tried to preen his back feathers (first time since what... several weeks?), and almost succeed;
- Apache walked STANDING (not entirely, but completely for the legs at least!)... with my help (because : physical rehabilitation), ok; but he did.

...Apache is recovering very well.

Each day has its new victory,
and the boy is doing so good it is actually hard to believe...!

He has energy, is CLEARLY not in pain, wants to eat, moves by himself, etc...
...He is doing incredibly good in his recovery.

Last edited:
In the evening, Apache has preened his wings' feathers...!! Not ALL these feathers, but that's a start!!
I think he also preened some chest's feathers, but since I could not stay to look, I am not sure...

Boy is sleeping in his coop for now, but tomorrow, I will keep helping with physical rehabilitation (priority to his hips and legs - these need strengthening).

Recovery is fast(er I thought possible).

The warm weather we have for now helps certainly, but that does NOT explain... this!
I'm ready to call that a miracle...!!

...Apache, thanksfully, does not look anymore like the dying rooster he was not so long ago...
He is pretty lively now, and is really trying his best when I help him to stand in order to WALK.

I don't know if he drinks in his waterer, since I did not see him do so... but wet pet food has kept him hydrated for days and days, and since it works so well Apache's condition is NOT worsening, we don't need to worry about him not having enough water...

Hi,
You are super dedicated and are doing your best!

Keep him clean, dry and warm. If he’s putting all his energy into keeping warm he has no reserves for fighting illness.

I think Newcastle Disease could be a possibility. There are different strains which show a variety of symptoms.
But from your description and photos it’s a possibility. However, other illnesses are also possible.

As he seems more stable, it’s time to go back and do an objective re- assessment of his condition!

Don’t make any assumptions (stroke) but take a brand new look at his current state and when it started.

Find a good chicken health checklist on line. Make notes/timeline.

When exactly did his current symptoms first start?

Was it sudden? Did things occur over time?
When was the last time he seemed well?

When did each symptom start, how has each one progressed?

Questions:
Check his body-
Swelling? Limbs, comb, wattles, other?
Wounds?
Lumps?

Paralysis of legs, wings? Twisted neck ?
(Newcastle, Marek’s disease, toxins, other)

How is his breathing?
Wheeze, cough, sneeze?

Eyes clear?

Discharge? From eyes, nose, mouth? Runny, clear, smelly?

(Did he eat anything toxic? You mentioned other chickens had. Or… they actually had the same illness as him but just got more sick, faster, more seriously, and died.

Check your flock for any early similar symptoms. Are any lethargic/sleepy/droopy/stiff in movements?
Poor appetite?
Poops normal, runny, colour, bloody?

By the way:
Pain Management: (Only if chicken in obvious pain or known fever. Eg wound, injury, severe illness)

Aspirin is safe if correct dosage.

(If he was bleeding internally he would not be showing improvement at this point)

IF you think he NEEDS medicine for pain, and he might not…
then dissolve a ground up aspirin (remember- only 80mg amount!) into a litre of water. Or, break one into a small pieces and hide a piece in a bit of cat food.

Don’t accidentally give him too much!

One good way is give him a tiny 40mg in food and the rest in water. Then wait at least 12 hours.

What’s his behaviour?
It’s normal for him to not be affectionate when he’s feeling sick.

I think it might be good to make him some mash from the pellets, and start to ease off the dog food now.
Scrambled eggs, chicken broth are good too. (Yes, chicken broth)

He can rehabilitate himself. Don’t push him with exercises yet. He needs TIME.
REST.

Let us know what you observe.
Thank you for posting!

Hi!

Apache's condition continues to improve, little by little...

Yesterday : I put Cade Oil on his legs.
Since he is always sitting on them, I prefer to prevent any risk of infection by using Cade Oil than by doing nothing...
(This product is 'Magic'!)

I also cleaned his butt with vinegar - again -, then I put Cade Oil on his black crusts - again...
(The black crusts are already dried, and half removed 'by themselves'...)

Today : I'm keeping doing what I can - ajusting food, helping with physical rehabilitation, looking after him...

Keep him clean, dry and warm. If he’s putting all his energy into keeping warm he has no reserves for fighting illness.

Thank you!

We are lucky for now : it's pretty warm in Auvergne these days. So, Apache is warm, and can put all his energy just into recovering...!
(I'm grateful for the wheather, since I'm pretty sure it is playing a big role in Apache's so fast recovery...)

I think Newcastle Disease could be a possibility. There are different strains which show a variety of symptoms.
But from your description and photos it’s a possibility. However, other illnesses are also possible.

I'm sadly much too stupid to know how to post videos...
I'm sure it could at least help in understanding better Apache's condition...

Don’t make any assumptions (stroke) but take a brand new look at his current state and when it started.

We think a stroke or a head injury could be the cause, but I actually wonder more and more if the cellphone tower that was activated (much too close to my house in my opinion) in Spring 2023 is not THE cause of Apache's condition...?
...I know I suffer since its activation - and I don't believe in coincidences -, and since it could affect a human so well (if I am not mistaken)... what about a rooster?

When exactly did his current symptoms first start?

December 2023...
I don't remember the exact day... but it was actually not long after I posted this thread about Apache : https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blackening-skin-on-brahma-roosters-head.1605957/

Was it sudden? Did things occur over time?
When was the last time he seemed well?

...Not really sudden, but fast : poor boy was paralysed in what... two-three weeks? Or maybe a bit more...?
(I don't remember exactly...!!!)

And the last time he actually was well... it is not easy to tell : when I brought him home in July 2023, he already was a weak rooster.
But I did not immediatly notice then, because I actually did not choose him personally : I ordered a Light Brahma rooster to a store, and the store ordered him from elsewhere...
...He probably was the weakest of the chicks of something...?

He first had a relatively long history of respiratory issues, but I could eventually heal him... nevertheless, that took some time!
He was the only one of my chickens that was affected, so I am not even sure it was so much an illness than a genetic fault or something of this kind, you know...?

Questions:
Check his body-
Swelling? Limbs, comb, wattles, other?
Wounds?
Lumps?

...Did check, of course!

He has... nothing of such! No swelling, no wound, no lump...
And the skin of his face (including wattles and comb) is a very healthy red for now.

Paralysis of legs, wings? Twisted neck ?
(Newcastle, Marek’s disease, toxins, other)

His legs were almost entirely paralyzed at one moment, but no more thanksfully!
(But NOTE : I can not really tell if Apache was paralysed because his legs were really affected, or just because he was weak and in pain... because for me, his conditions has seemed to be located hips-level since Day 1 - and not legs-level.)

He can not stand for now, but when I help him, he can use all of his legs and walks by himself. Meaning he is not paralyzed anymore - just weak...

Concerning his wings... they never were paralyzed.
When he could not move by himself anymore and I thought he was dying, he actually was making use of his wings to try holding his weight as much he could in order to be confortable...

And for the twisted neck, he HAD had this problem not long ago! But it only lasted three days.

...Also, just in case it would be useful to know : Apache never had problem curling his toes - even in the WORST of his condition.

How is his breathing?
Wheeze, cough, sneeze?

Breathing is totally healthy : he healed greatly well before suffering for his current condition.
So : no wheeze, couch, or sneeze to worry about!

Eyes clear?

Yes : eyes are clear and - again - healthy-looking.
I actually check everyday!

Discharge? From eyes, nose, mouth? Runny, clear, smelly?

Just poop relatively liquid, but that is normal : Apache eat wet pet food in priority, and wet pet food contains a lot of water...
And that's smelly, yes... but nothing worrying for now - especially when compared to his poop at the time I thought he was dying!

Otherwise : no discharge from eyes, nose, or mouth.
I am regularly cleaning his face (since I don't want any wet pet food sticking on it), so I am sure of that...

(Did he eat anything toxic? You mentioned other chickens had. Or… they actually had the same illness as him but just got more sick, faster, more seriously, and died.

Check your flock for any early similar symptoms. Are any lethargic/sleepy/droopy/stiff in movements?
Poor appetite?
Poops normal, runny, colour, bloody?

There is nothing toxic in my garden for now...

The chickens that died... that was in the past, so really NO link with Apache's condition... and I actually had then found half eaten toxic bulbs, and toxic flowers growing on my fence...

And all of my chickens are now healthy. Very healthy...
I am close with them, and so, I check their behaviour, appearance, poop, etc... everyday! So, if there is a problem, I would be able to isolate and treat my birds right away...

Only my poor Apache is weak for now...
But he is only weak physically : mentally, he is clearly not sad anymore. Maybe he knows he IS healing...?

Aspirin is safe if correct dosage.

(If he was bleeding internally he would not be showing improvement at this point)

Yeah... no : I'm afraid.
We don't know what really is happening internally... and so, I really don't want to take any risk with Aspirin.

Maybe I'm stupid, but... whatever - for now : Apache is not in pain, so he does not need any painkiller. Thanks God!

What’s his behaviour?
It’s normal for him to not be affectionate when he’s feeling sick.

No... his behaviour has actually become normal again!!

He is Apach-ish-normal!!

I think it might be good to make him some mash from the pellets, and start to ease off the dog food now.
Scrambled eggs, chicken broth are good too. (Yes, chicken broth)

I am doing that with pet food...

I keep giving him wet dog food and wet cat food for now, but I am also giving him his Premium Mix for Poultry, and today, also Duck/Goose Pellets (because he loves them, and so, EATS them).
Mister Apache has preferences, so I have to obey - of course!

He also eat cooked eggs usually, but NOT everyday (anymore) for the time being...

He can rehabilitate himself. Don’t push him with exercises yet. He needs TIME.
REST.

Thank you soooooo much...!!!!!

I was afraid of making him do too much, or not enough... and nobody has actually advised me how to help him correctly with physical rehabilitation, so I am just doing what I can with what I know AND... my feelings...

Your comment here is reassuring me... Thank you!

Let us know what you observe.
Thank you for posting!

I am observing... that Apache is doing AND feeling better and better... He is improving, and fast!

He can now preen his feathers on his back, and he keeps moving all day and trying to stand by himself - and there are progress... SMALL progress, but progress nonetheless.

Here is a picture of the boy I have taken less than one hour ago :

DSC09462.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom