Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Pics
Hi.

So... like I said I would do, I just showered Apache.

This time, I have cleaned him entirely.
(Just to say : I use Savon Noir (liquide) to wash my animals.)

I washed his feet and legs first, then his butt - in order to remove all the poops on his feathers. Smelled really bad...!

Next,
I washed his back, his wings, and under his wings...

Only after washing alsmost his entire body did I wash then his head and chest, since I did not know if he could hold the weight of his chest if it was wet, and I did not want to bother him too long if he could not - if possible...
(And he actually could not - hold the weight of his WET chest feathers!)

...Afterwhat, I repeated the operation - taking care to ALSO clean his face thoroughly : I love cleanliness, so I prefer to do too much than not enough.

Apache - of course - was not a happy rooster while in the shower : he actually does not really care being showered, but given he has not all of his strenght for now, the weight of the water on his feathers was too much for him, and thus prevented him to move like he wanted to.
(That, in addition to the fact the floor of my shower is botheringly smooth...)

But whatever, since once I was satisfied with the result, I dried Apache with a hair dryer.

I took my time doing so, because even if it is warm for now in Auvergne, I prefered to put Apache outside only once he would be completly dry...
So, I put a (relatively) lot of time drying him... so much so there were feathers everywhere in my house...

...Next, once Apache was dried off, I put GouttaPoux on his neck.
I already did really not long ago, but since I washed him entirely today, I prefer to treat him again against lice and mites; just in case...
(Especially since weather is so warm...!!)

And then, I put - again - Cade Oil on his butt...
Actually, we have no need to do so anymore : the black crusts on Apache's butt actually disappeared ALREADY... yes...
But just in prevention, you know... I thanksfully can not use too much Cade Oil, and there is no risk; so...

Moreover, I also put Cade Oil on his legs - AGAIN -, since he is sitting so much on them...
His skin is relatively tender (but not worrying so) on his ankles/heels, so Cade Oil will protect it and prevent any risk of infection...

...Once I was finished with pampering Apache, I put him outside, with a big bowl of wet dog food mixed with his Multivitamin Juice.
In the sunlight...! Boy is now shining so much...!!

Voilà.
All these details just for this morning; ah, ah!

Now, Apache can preen his butt feathers without worrying about poop and dirt and smell...!!!

(You know, I am posting each progress and giving so much details ALSO in order to help, and give hope to the ones whose bird is/could be in the same condition than my Apache...
Maybe I am not doing much, but if I have learned a thing these last weeks, that is : it is never too late to save a bird's life.
(And that wet cat/dog food is sufficient to keep a bird that don't drink water hydrated!!)

Indeed : if I had listened to some people - including myself - AND had the courage to cull my rooster, Apache would be dead now... and for what? Boy has survived; by miracle, and/or wish to live, and/or combativeness, or... or whatever...
...I'm really sooooo glad I'm much too a coward to cull chickens...!!!
)

My chickens have acces to a dry dustbath to clean their skin and feathers themselves. Thats all and enough in normal circumstances.

I can’t (don't want) to kill my chickens too if they get sick. If I have a real sick chicken that is suffering without any progress , I will try to buy ether. Let it sleep and give an extra lethal dose After she has fallen in a deep sleep.

Hi!

Today was "work day" for Apache.
Meaning we did MORE physical rehabilitation than usual...!!

Indeed : Apache being clearly not in pain (anymore), and having more and more energy by the days... I felt he would be ready to make some more efforts from now on...
And I was right, since he even had the strenght to try running when I helped him to walk!
He actually was more troting than running, but whatever : fact is he is doing his best to recover faster, and he is succeeding; and he really deserves his medal...!!

What it is also important is that when I am holding him to help him walk, I can now feel his muscles working and strenghtening!
I did not even think about that (feeling these muscles) previously, but now I can feel them, I call - again - "PROGRESS"!!

...Everyday has (seriously) a new victory...!!

My chickens have acces to a dry dustbath to clean their skin and feathers themselves. Thats all and enough in normal circumstances.

Mines don't even care if sand is dry or wet; ah, ah!

And dustbaths are not enough to protect my chickens from lice and mites...
(I don't know if it is because of the climate, or just because of all the wild birds... or both?)
So, if needed, I simply use food grade Diatomaceous Earth, or GouttaPoux if I have any in my house...

Not too long ago, I also used Peppermint Essential Oil OR Lavande Essential Oil (mixed with A LOT of water, of course) - in the coops and/or directly on the chickens; but I can not anymore : since 2023, I have been severely allergic to essential oils...
...Sad, because before, I felt Essential Oils were pretty efficient against lice and mites...!!

The sand bath area needs a refill /top up every now and then. I usually add soil mixed with playground sand and DE to too it up. Seems to work reasonable well.
After I started to use DE (also under the hay in the laying nest and as a sort of paint in the coop) I didn’t have a infestation until last year. I got a bit sloppy checking and was too careful/ too frugal, in using DE with 9 chicks, high temps and an overcrowded nestbox at some point.

Hello!

No big progress for Apache yesterday.

He was lively, yes; and still trying his best... but I don't feel like he has been doing particularly better than two days ago...?
But even then, that is not worrying : he is improving step by step, and as long as he is not worsening, it is still a victory.

(We have to remember expecting Apache to make OBVIOUS progress each day is too much... His recovery is supposed to be long - much longer than it has been until now -, so we really don't need to be disappointed if ONE day passes without visible improvement...)

Now he is not suffering anymore, Apache can take his time to recover : I will keep supporting him, even if he needs months OR years.
(But thanksfully, I really don't think he will need more than two seasons to heal completely!)

...Cold is returning in Auvergne from now on, but what do you know...? It is NOT even bothering Apache, in spite of the fact there is frost!!
(I was afraid he would be in pain again once the cold temperatures return, but... no : he does NOT care about it!)

(Although I hope Apache will be able to keep working his mucles once it rains - forecast for several days from wednesday -, because I will have to let him confined in his small run then, just so he can stay dry...!)

Also, insisting on a last note :

Apache is still not drinking water, so I continue to give him wet cat/dog food in priority.

He has not drunk a drop of water for what... one month...?
Maybe a bit more...?
(I did not mark the exact day he stopped drinking, so...?)

And in spite of that, he is still alive... really only thanks to wet pet food - that is keeping him sufficiently hydrated since then...!

Apache is still not drinking water, so I continue to give him wet cat/dog food in priority.
Chickens who eat wet food don’t really need (much) water in winter.

Chickens are not carnivores. I would rather lower the amount of cat feed and give him wet chick feed. Chick feed is meant for poultry with high protein and is probably more balanced.

Chickens are not carnivores. I would rather lower the amount of cat feed and give him wet chick feed. Chick feed is meant for poultry with high protein and is probably more balanced.
But then again, chickens are omnivores and sure do love a big juicy frog or mouse. That being said @Papaye it may depend on the quality of your cat food. We've sometimes given out little portions of sardines in water or some such tidbit when it's cold and wintery, but no expert. Sounds like you're doing an amazing job. I haven't read the whole thread yet, but you may also find support at rooster allies on facebook.

I think there's always some hope. We had a dying chick that we kept alive for a month, spoon fed and fixed his spraddle leg. I was sure we were just torturing him, but now he's quite a vigorous young rooster. Though of course I understand that's quite a different situation.

Hi!

Apache can walk for a bit longer now, but since he has been gaining weight, he is now clearly (at least) a bit burdened by his weight...

I feel he needs to gain muscle mass around the chest and/or belly, so he could hold himself high on his legs... but I don't actually really know?

Do I have to let Apache strenghten himself by his own efforts, or do I have to help him by rearranging his physical reeducation...?

I'm no expert... I don't know what to do better, or if I really should have to try something different...

Yes. Thankfully...!
Weather is quite warm, but even then, my chickens don't drink a lot of water for now...

Wet chick feed... exist?
I did not know they made it! (But I don't think I could find it in my country...?)

Earlier this morning, I gave a mix of wet dog food and crumbs (for chicks) to Apache.
BUT : he is not interested by his bowl for now - because Mister has his own taste, and apparently doesn't like crumbs...!

We've sometimes given out little portions of sardines in water or some such tidbit when it's cold and wintery, but no expert.

Ok...
No : you are so much right... so I am going to give some fishs to Apache!

I was so much thinking to keep him hydrated with wet pet food AND giving him some proteins and vitamins I did not even think to give him fish specifically
- although I am used to give them to my chickens, and they love them...!!

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but you may also find support at rooster allies on facebook.

Thank you for this information!!

I actually have (had?) an account on Facebook, but I can no longer access it...

I was told once somebody was using my account, and I don't know it is true (I'm stupid with the Internet); but when I had tried to connect on it (to delete it) some years ago, I strangely could not anymore : my account had been locked.
And Facebook did not send any email to me when I tried to recover it...!!

...I would like to ask some help on this group (Rooster Allies), but I first have to recover my account for that - if the thing still exists.
I am going to try, and I will post the result!

I think there's always some hope. We had a dying chick that we kept alive for a month, spoon fed and fixed his spraddle leg. I was sure we were just torturing him, but now he's quite a vigorous young rooster. Though of course I understand that's quite a different situation.

Different or not, your experience can only give me hope!!
(I'm grateful when people tell me their stories...)
Thank you!

I would really like to see a picture of your rooster...?

Wow...
Apache was, just now, cackling like a hen that laid an egg...

I feel he made this sound to call the hens to him, but it could also be weather-related for all I know...?

In any case : I'm happy, because it is the first "real" (high) sound he has made since he has been in this condition...!
(Progress, progress...!!)

Left like that, Apache will soon be crowing again!

Wet chick feed... exist?
I did not know they made it! (But I don't think I could find it in my country...?)
You can make it yourself. Add max the same amount of water in volume to the crum or the pellets, wait a little and stir if necessary.
...I would like to ask some help on this group (Rooster Allies), but I first have to recover my account for that - if the thing still exists.
I am going to try, and I will post the result!
Good thing the old one is blocked if someone hacked it.
You can create a new account with an alternative email address. If you don’t have a second email address this is easy to create too.
https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts-1356641

BTW I don’t like whats going on on facebook and deleted it on purpose. Same with X. There are other (better) ways to keep myself informed and be in touch. I don’t miss it.

Back
Top Bottom